• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HOL hearing - 02/03/2020

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Where is Maggie when the UK needs her?
    Dead

HTHBIDT

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Dead

HTHBIDT
      I laid flowers outside her house when she died. Very sad day. I got interviewed by foreign news crews.

Comment

I laid flowers outside her house when she died. Very sad day. I got interviewed by foreign news crews.
        They held street parties in the north east
        Formerly Sausage Surprise but forgot password on account that had email address from old gig

Comment

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
          I told that to the news crews so I suspect they never used my footage. And I understand the views of those who hated her. She was a very decisive person and it was good she never had a state funeral.

Oddly she thought being equally despised and loved was great - it proved she made a difference.

Comment

She was indeed very divisive. You can't doubt that she had a long term plan (whatever you may have thought of it) that saw beyond her initial term. Just don't get that any more with politicians. It's all 5 year sticking plasters.

Comment

Originally posted by Wobblyheed View Post
              Is that the same North East that gave The Tories an extra 8 seats?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                She was indeed very divisive. You can't doubt that she had a long term plan (whatever you may have thought of it) that saw beyond her initial term. Just don't get that any more with politicians. It's all 5 year sticking plasters.
                TBF Boris has a 10 year plan. That's it though. That's all he's got.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  Of course yes! Again thanks.

But is the general thinking along the right lines? Remove NI as an entity and chuck the shortfall into Income Tax?
                  The tax system with its various brackets and different names ( PAYE, employees NIC, employers NIC) are design to obfuscate the overall rate of tax an individual is actually paying.

I've had conversations with educated people who are happy they earn less than the higher rate tax band, because they think they would have to pay 40% tax on everything they earn.

Comment

Originally posted by krytonsheep View Post
                    The tax system with its various brackets and different names ( PAYE, employees NIC, employers NIC) are design to obfuscate the overall rate of tax an individual is actually paying.

I've had conversations with educated people who are happy they earn less than the higher rate tax band, because they think they would have to pay 40% tax on everything they earn.
                    Successive governments talk about moving toward a progressive tax regime, when they actually mean progressing towards an ever complicated tax regime!

For example, in April 2017, the thresholds for Primary and Secondary NI contributions were finally aligned. The rates published last month for 2020-21 show these are due to go out of line again.

Comment

I'm with Elvis Costello on this

Comment

Working...
                      X