• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 - claiming expenses for travel and hotels

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 - claiming expenses for travel and hotels

I have a Ltd company and have been outside IR35 for 7+ years.

There's a strong chance that my current contract will fall inside IR35.

I've seen the calculators to work out the take home on my daily rate, but what I'd like to know is how I continue to claim for expenses incurred for client related tasks - eg. hotels, venue hire, train fares to sites (not my daily base) to deliver workshops, attend meetings, etc. How and where do I claim these from?

Also, who pays me when I go inside IR35? Right now I complete a weekly timesheet and get paid my daily rate on a weekly basis. I then pay myself once a month - calculating my own taxes, setting aside Corp Tax, VAT, etc. Will the company who currently pays me now just continue to pay me, but at a reduced rate?

You won't be able to claim any expenses if the client deems you inside.

Have a skim through the stickies for more info.

You will either be paid by the client, on their payroll, or the agency, on their payroll, or an umbrella. It depends on the client and what arrangements they have made / require.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 30 January 2020, 19:25. Reason: I do hate autocorrect

Comment

Check the first timers guides to the right.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        You won't be able to claim any expenses if the client deems you inside.
        Hang on, if a permie employed in central Manchester visits the Sheffield office on business related matters, he/she can claim travelling expenses upto the HMRC limit of 45p/,mile so why not?

Comment

Originally posted by realaledrinker View Post
          Hang on, if a permie employed in central Manchester visits the Sheffield office on business related matters, he/she can claim travelling expenses upto the HMRC limit of 45p/,mile so why not?
          This is a different situation. Ask if one's umbrella or PAYE employer will allow expenses to be claimed as they would for any other employee. Expenses cannot be claimed via one's limited company for roles determined "inside IR35" as one is deemed to not be working for that company.
          Last edited by wattaj; 31 January 2020, 09:11. Reason: Clarity.
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
          Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by InnyOuty View Post
            I have a Ltd company and have been outside IR35 for 7+ years.
            7 years. And yet this is all a mystery to you?
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by realaledrinker View Post

This is true, but this is over and above salary. The answer therefore lies in the contract, is it Day rate + expenses or just Day rate.

Comment

Originally posted by InnyOuty View Post
                but what I'd like to know is how I continue to claim for expenses incurred for client related tasks - eg. hotels, venue hire, train fares to sites (not my daily base) to deliver workshops, attend meetings, etc. How and where do I claim these from??
                You'll be paying these from your own pocket in future.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  You'll be paying these from your own pocket in future.
                  None commuting expenses that are paid for by the client will still be claimable expenses.

Your expensive train fare to the client’s base office in London / Manchester and 3 nights hotel stay near said office won’t be however.

Comment

This was a standard question to ask the agent when I first started contracting.

But I haven’t had a contract like that since 2003; I suspect that they’ll come back into fashion in the future.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X