• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Help - IR35 has wrecked my brain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Just retain that alongside as much physical evidence of your working practices that support it. It sounds like the client has issued a Mickey Mouse opinion that doesn’t address your working practices. Obviously, you should assume that your client would not be on your side under investigation, which is a not a trivial risk, but the reality matters more, so document it. Then plan to reject any extension under different terms and ensure you are paid by 3 April for any work under the existing terms.
    Thanks again. So you wouldn't be overly concerned about extending the current contract even with the knowledge of knowing the client is not supportive of my Outside determination?

Comment

Originally posted by MHPPM View Post
      Thanks again. So you wouldn't be overly concerned about extending the current contract even with the knowledge of knowing the client is not supportive of my Outside determination?
      Not overly concerned in the sense that the extra risk is just the extra time/tax exposure (which you've mitigated by conducting due dilligence), and you aren't proposing to hang around for much longer.

Sure, I would be concerned that they aren't supportive (of your status at any time). But I would be more concerned about refuting that, which is still within your control. If you hadn't done the due diligence on this contract in advance or if you were proposing to stick around for a lot longer, I might given you a different answer (i.e., run now), but the damage is already done w/r to the client's view of your status.

Comment

Thanks, QDOS would just be reviewing a contract they have already passed as Compliant. I hear they are planning a new contract that works before and after 6th April - not sure how they will pull that trick!!
        Have you spoke to them about your current predicament? I'd imagine you wouldn't be anywhere near the first contractor to approach them about this.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          Have you spoke to them about your current predicament? I'd imagine you wouldn't be anywhere near the first contractor to approach them about this.
          Thanks, Yes it's a faceless Inbox manned by illiterate buffoons..

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            Not overly concerned in the sense that the extra risk is just the extra time/tax exposure (which you've mitigated by conducting due dilligence), and you aren't proposing to hang around for much longer.

Sure, I would be concerned that they aren't supportive (of your status at any time). But I would be more concerned about refuting that, which is still within your control. If you hadn't done the due diligence on this contract in advance or if you were proposing to stick around for a lot longer, I might given you a different answer (i.e., run now), but the damage is already done w/r to the client's view of your status.
            Thanks, I think the formal SDA will come in the next 2 to 3 weeks along with the new proposed contract - not sure if getting this makes things worse or not? Also when you say "I would be more concerned about refuting that, which is still within your control" - you mean in the future if anything transpires like an investigation?

Comment

Spoke = phoned?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Thanks, I think the formal SDA will come in the next 2 to 3 weeks along with the new proposed contract - not sure if getting this makes things worse or not? Also when you say "I would be more concerned about refuting that, which is still within your control" - you mean in the future if anything transpires like an investigation?
                Probably not, except superficially. The client's opinion matters, and the SDS just formalises that. It would matter if you accepted the SDS and continued inside post April, but you're not going to, as I understand it.

On the latter, yes, in the event of a future investigation, HMRC and the client (presumably) will be against you, but the evidence will support you; that is about the best you can do now.

Comment

(cough)

There is no such thing as IR35 complaint by the way.

If you want to get your head around this, which you will need to do, I'd suggest you start with the IR35 guides to the right. Get the basics and then move on to the new legislation. It should become alot clearer.
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 29 January 2020, 14:48.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Sure there is, the draft legislation allows for "complaints".

Dear Client, I hereby complain...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      (cough)

If you want to get your head around this, which you will need to do, I'd suggest you start with the IR35 guides to the right. Get the basics and then move on to the new legislation. It should become alot clearer.
                      Sorry I don't follow what you are saying - maybe I am the illiterate buffoon.

Comment

Working...
                      X