• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective IR35 investigations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ned Kelly View Post
    I'm willing to accept your argument, but do you have any specific quotes regarding HMRC where they have published specific guidelines and then simply ignored them, without a new act of parliament put in place
    It is guidance, not legislation. There are plenty of examples of HMRC ignoring their own guidance or providing guidance that is in error as it relates to legislation. Whether they get away with it is another matter (witness the increasing number of judicial reviews).

https://www.tax.org.uk/sites/default...20response.pdf

Members report increasing instances of HMRC adopting an interpretation of the law
    to bring in the greatest tax; rather than the right tax at the right time. This extends to
    running contradictory arguments in different cases, and / or ignoring their own
    published guidance, custom and practice, and relevant case-law.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Oh Dear.

I guess you've never hear of the HMRC Connect System?

What HMRC's new Connect 'supercomputer' knows about you - BT

Connect (computer system) - Wikipedia

(Although my post here still stands.)
      Cheers for the link. Certainly interesting times contemplating ones own appetite to risk.

I am wondering still how they would get the data that Person A working through Agency B is providing services to Client C. If they have access to bank accounts as they say then a trawl of Agency B's accounts you could link the cash coming in and then going out to Person A's business account but i'm sure that data would be pretty noisy.

Whatever option I ultimately go for I will be gathering as much data to defend my position as im assuming any path I choose could end up with some kind of nudge letter from HMRC depending on how they approach this.

What I definitely will not be doing is going from Outside to Umbrella with the same client in the same role, especially if there has been an inside SDS.

Comment

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
        Dave Chaplin has posted on Linkedin that HMRC are already retrospectively investigating public sector contractors who have taken PAYE roles since the implementation of the new rules in the public sector. So much for HMRC's statements to the contrary. So in reality, whatever situation you find yourself in from April 2020, you will not be spared an IR35 retrospective investigation. Time to prime the weapons I think!
        Dave's LinkedIn post begins "We are starting to hear..." and was a call for evidence, but it isn't clear whether any hard evidence has actually surfaced.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          oh, dear, yet another thread full of headless chickens with twitching arses searching for the magic solution <which doesn't exist>
          Some colleagues here think the magic solution is insurance. Qdos for one, have said that their IR35 Enquiry insurance cover is retrospective. So in the worst case, the individual switches from contract to umbrella (staying with same client, same project), HMRC open an enquiry, then go retrospective, it goes to court/tribunal, the individual loses, the insurance policy pays out...

Comment

Originally posted by Skint View Post
            Some colleagues here think the magic solution is insurance. Qdos for one, have said that their IR35 Enquiry insurance cover is retrospective. So in the worst case, the individual switches from contract to umbrella (staying with same client, same project), HMRC open an enquiry, then go retrospective, it goes to court/tribunal, the individual loses, the insurance policy pays out...
            how many people have enough IR35 insurance to cover multiple years?
            TLC35 can go up to £1400 a year. I dont know anyone who pays that.
            Almost everyone has just £50k of cover, which will cover a year maybe (maybe 2 for some). So it's not a magic solution.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
              how many people have enough IR35 insurance to cover multiple years?
              TLC35 can go up to £1400 a year. I dont know anyone who pays that.
              Almost everyone has just £50k of cover, which will cover a year maybe (maybe 2 for some). So it's not a magic solution.
              I don't know about any others but Qdos's cover is what they term a "claims made policy" which means it isn't designed to 'cover multiple years' but remains in force for as long as the individual keeps paying the premium. So if you do that and say HMRC open a retrospective enquiry in say November 2020 into your work for a client from say Jan 2015 to Nov 2020, then it's covered. Some people here think £1400 a year is worth paying, in order to (a) keep the income flowing now (the alternative is to sit on the bench, not earning) and (b) mitigate the retrospective enquiry risk.

Comment

If you accept "inside" for the same role that is already worked as "outside", you are saying that you admit evading tax previously.

Why sign a confession for a crime you never committed?

Current guidelines may say you are not a priority, but guidelines & priorities change - and priority isnt a Pass. Just as littering is not a priority, you still get a ticket when identified.

BTW If PII is required, it is clear indication of "outside", as employees are covered by company PII.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorcontractor View Post
                  If you accept "inside" for the same role that is already worked as "outside", you are saying that you admit evading tax previously.

Why sign a confession for a crime you never committed?

Current guidelines may say you are not a priority, but guidelines & priorities change - and priority isnt a Pass. Just as littering is not a priority, you still get a ticket when identified.

BTW If PII is required, it is clear indication of "outside", as employees are covered by company PII.
                  You are wrong contractorcontractor - evasion is a criminal activity.

Working outside IR35 is an acceptable way of working - now and after April.

True, it will be harder to find these contracts, but that is different.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    You are wrong contractorcontractor - evasion is a criminal activity.

Working outside IR35 is an acceptable way of working - now and after April.
                    Well milud, I put it to you, that not only am I correct, but it is the esteemed poster, what is incorrect.

Working outside is legal. However, saying that you are outside, whilst knowing to be inside, would most likely be considered as tax evasion.

Comment

Originally posted by contractorcontractor View Post
                      Well milud, I put it to you, that not only am I correct, but it is the esteemed poster, what is incorrect.

Working outside is legal. However, saying that you are outside, whilst knowing to be inside, would most likely be considered as tax evasion.
                      I believe it is avoidance. Though HMRC have no difference between avoidance and evasion.

Comment

Working...
                      X