• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Regarding expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about my question regarding using a laptop that has been charged as expense to an LLC at an inside IR35 role?

Comment

Originally posted by PeterSim View Post
      What about my question regarding using a laptop that has been charged as expense to an LLC at an inside IR35 role?
      A laptop *could* be seen as a business expense, but NOT in relation to your inside IR35 role. The laptop would have to pass the "wholly and exclusively" test in order to be recorded as a legitimate expense for your business.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

If you're inside, I'd be expecting the client to stump up for the equipment

Comment

Say for example. I am working outside IR35 and buy a laptop and put it through expenses. Then my next role is inside IR35 and i use the laptop, is that a problem? Say for example it is an ongoing expense because I pay monthly over 2 years but the second year I am working inside IR 35 but still paying the expense of the laptop on my LLC.

It is just an example, to see where expenses fall when moving between inside and outside.
          Last edited by PeterSim; 29 January 2020, 12:58.

Comment

Say for example. I am working outside IR35 and buy a laptop and put it through expenses. Then my next role is inside IR35 and i use the laptop, is that a problem? Say for example it is an ongoing expense because I pay monthly over 2 years but the second year I am working inside IR 35 but still paying the expense of the laptop on my LLC.

It is just an example, to see where expenses fall when moving between inside and outside.
            Who's going to know?

Use your judgement; you're a big boy now.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

OK, let's go back to what was said earlier: buying it as a business expense. If your company is buying it as a business expense, then it is to be used by the LLC.
              If you're buying it through your company, but then don't use the company, then strictly speaking you should not be using the laptop. You certainly should not be using it when working through/for a different company.
              The other company should be supplying you with the equipment you need to do your job for them.

i.e. no, you can't go shopping now and buy loads of stuff through your company then expect to use it for the next year wholly and exclusively outside of your LLC. That's the complete opposite of the rules.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Simple rule: business expenses must be "wholly, exclusively, and necessarily" for use in the business or in the pursuit of that business' activities.
                ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Yes but if you don't know a contract is going to be inside or outside. You can't exactly stop using a laptop because it was bought through an LLC and now HMRC have forced you to be an employee. Doesn't seem reasonable.

I understand the "wholly, exclusively, and necessarily".

I also understand you can probably get away with using it, I am more making a though experiment, to point out how muddy it is when HMRC are forcing owners of LLC to become employees. It is like a communist country.

Comment

Yes but if you don't know a contract is going to be inside or outside.
                    Look, here's the deal: take your finger off the "Buy Now" button and decide if you need this mythical laptop in order to run your business. If "yes", then "buy now", else "no", stop wasting our time.

Your business will incur expenses regardless of any contract's status. They are TWO separate things. Act accordingly.

The only thing that you need to worry about is that you can no-longer claim expenses for inside IR35 roles.

Happy?
                    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Yes but if you don't know a contract is going to be inside or outside. You can't exactly stop using a laptop because it was bought through an LLC and now HMRC have forced you to be an employee. Doesn't seem reasonable.

I understand the "wholly, exclusively, and necessarily".

I also understand you can probably get away with using it, I am more making a though experiment, to point out how muddy it is when HMRC are forcing owners of LLC to become employees. It is like a communist country.

Nope, not like a communist country. It's all about preventing people who are effectively permanently employed from avoiding paying fair taxes. Unfortunately it is so badly written that it also catches out the few of us who genuinely contract.

Your thought experiment answer:
                      You should stop using items that are owned by a company if you are not working for that company.
                      Doesn't matter whether it's your company or someone else's.

Imagine this: You get a contract/job/whatever with Barclays bank. They supply you with a laptop to do the job. You finish working for them and go to work for Lloyds.
                      Who owns the Barclays' laptop?
                      If Barclays ask for it back, would you say "no, I need it for Lloyds"?

So, if you want to take a laptop that is owned by a company, and then use it yourself for personal use (or for other companies), then you (personally) need to buy it off the first company. Generally the price you pay should be fair market value, or it can be based on the depreciation rate that the company uses (perhaps 33% per year)

This has nothing to do with IR35, and everything to do with running a business.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X