• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New CEST

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck on the first question, what's the difference?

What do you want to find out?

If the off-payroll working rules (IR35) apply to a contract
    If some work is classed as employment or self-employment for tax purposes

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      I tried this out with a few scenarios.

The Sub one is obviously outside IR35.

Then I chose No Sub + Client can reject Sub. I went through the rest of the questions in a solid out-of-IR35 way (i.e. "No, that would require a new contract or formal working arrangement" and "No, you solely decide") and CEST actually gave me an outside determination. I was surprised.

But then I changed one little thing on this question:
      Does your client have the right to move you from the task you originally agreed to do?
      I changed the answer from No, that would require a new contract or formal working arrangement to No, you would have to agree … and suddenly I am determined INSIDE IR35!

Looks like the determination will hinge on the slightest thing, unless you have a silver bullet Sub.
      I found that the "new contract or formal working arrangement" bit would determine outside always.
      Always get an updated contract schedule before doing any new work...
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I found that the "new contract or formal working arrangement" bit would determine outside always.
        Always get an updated contract schedule before doing any new work...
        Thats great but a client will be running the 'hirer' questions independently and plugging in values through a different lens. Unless they're clued up and have read the contract, they may believe they can just agree extra work in person with you, unless its an existing contract where you have been very firm about this before.

Comment

I pulled the matrix files together for easy reference.

CEST matrix - Google Sheets

The notes are mine, so subject to error.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            I pulled the matrix files together for easy reference.

CEST matrix - Google Sheets

The notes are mine, so subject to error.
            Nice one miss

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
            X