• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best Option for 1 day/week public sector contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Option for 1 day/week public sector contract

Hi all,

I am entirely new to contracting, but have the option of a ~1 day per week (~£400 a week) contract supporting a government department. This is in addition to my normal PAYE employment.

What is the best way to go about this? Ideally would like to minimise tax burden, but also want to avoid any complex procedures/challenges.

I also would appreciate how an option such as an Umbrella company fits with a self-assessment tax return. I will be filling in a self-assessment return for my normal employment. If the Umbrella company income is my additional income, but has different tax rules - how is that resolved when a self-assessment is completed?

All advice very much appreciated!
    Last edited by orie1925; 13 March 2017, 16:36.

Brolly Dolly 🕊
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

umbrella ella ella eh eh eh
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by orie1925 View Post
        I am entirely new to contracting, but have the option of a ~1 day per week (~£400 a week) contract supporting a government department. This is in addition to my normal PAYE employment.

What is the best way to go about this? Ideally would like to minimise tax burden, but also want to avoid any complex procedures/challenges.
        Your best bet would be to get the government department to take you on as a self employed person, since there is no agency in the mix. If that's not possible, then ask the department whether they can pay you through their own payroll for the work that you do, deducting the appropriate taxes. If that's not possible, then and only then should you look at an umbrella provider - if you don't need to add someone to the chain who can go bust with your money or will take a cut from your earnings then you would be daft to jump to that conclusion from the outset.
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          Your best bet would be to get the government department to take you on as a self employed person, since there is no agency in the mix. If that's not possible, then ask the department whether they can pay you through their own payroll for the work that you do, deducting the appropriate taxes. If that's not possible, then and only then should you look at an umbrella provider - if you don't need to add someone to the chain who can go bust with your money or will take a cut from your earnings then you would be daft to jump to that conclusion from the outset.
          +1 for a £400 a week contract the umbrella fees are a absolute killer....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
          X