• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"HMRC will stand by the result given"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"HMRC will stand by the result given"

"HMRC will stand by the result given unless a compliance check finds the information provided isn’t
    accurate."

Or not as the case may be..... Our friends at the revenue, clearly spooked by the amount of outside determinations being returned have been briefing NHS Finance Managers saying that they won't stand by the decision.
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Isn't that logical, though - if you lie to cheat the tests, then you can hardly expect HMRC to say "yep, that's good enough for us"!

Which means that they still need to do an investigation for any outside determination that they want to challenge because they won't know whether the answers were accurate or not. Conversely, that might mean that they won't stand by an inside assessment either
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

I said before and I'll say it again - if a job role in one department is inside, they'll go after all those in the same role in other departments who claim to be outside.
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        "HMRC will stand by the result given unless a compliance check finds the information provided isn’t
        accurate."

Or not as the case may be..... Our friends at the revenue, clearly spooked by the amount of outside determinations being returned have been briefing NHS Finance Managers saying that they won't stand by the decision.
        I think that's a case of HMRC saying "we think you are lying when filling in the form"...
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          Isn't that logical, though - if you lie to cheat the tests, then you can hardly expect HMRC to say "yep, that's good enough for us"!

Which means that they still need to do an investigation for any outside determination that they want to challenge because they won't know whether the answers were accurate or not. Conversely, that might mean that they won't stand by an inside assessment either
          They have apparently been briefing that they won't stand behind the result, even if answers are genuine.
          https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            I think that's a case of HMRC saying "we think you are lying when filling in the form"...
            I'd imagine they'll adopt a rule of thumb; if 80% of a certain role are declaring inside, they'll see the <20% as easy prey.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              I'd imagine they'll adopt a rule of thumb; if 80% of a certain role are declaring inside, they'll see the <20% as easy prey.
              you couldn't make it up, so what was the goal of the tool in the first place?

but saying that I never trust HMRC so no surprises

Comment

Originally posted by Semtex View Post
                you couldn't make it up, so what was the goal of the tool in the first place?

but saying that I never trust HMRC so no surprises
                The phrase "unless a compliance check finds the information provided isn’t accurate" has always given them a get out unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  I said before and I'll say it again - if a job role in one department is inside, they'll go after all those in the same role in other departments who claim to be outside.
                  I'll say it again - how will HMRC know what role is being performed? There is no field on the data feed to HMRC for that piece of information.
                  First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
                    I'll say it again - how will HMRC know what role is being performed? There is no field on the data feed to HMRC for that piece of information.
                    Yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X