• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
    Thanks for that..
    Couple of further points..

A ) if I was placed in an inside IR35 deemed contract then I would ask for a copy of the assessment because I reckon the end clients will be thinking that to make life easier let's make them inside IR35 but we will continue to treat contractors the same. ie. I may want regular supervision now or you are supposed to be providing this so called direction you have said. Where is that? You need to take more control over this project as well. The lists go on and on... the end client can't have the cake and eat it too. Then after I get all that, I will take you to the tribunal as I want the same rights as the permie sitting next to me

B) I still think like the working practices questionnaire that was bouncing around central government departments over the last few years. People will quickly work out how to answer it so it sits outside IR35 - there must be a way of answering it so it comes out with that otherwise it's a bit like a North Korean election.
    A) Yes, one assumes that any reasonable organisation would evidence their decision. The easiest way is to provide the relevant ESS

B) You can take as many tests as you like, anonymously, so in theory yes you can reverse engineer it until you get an outside determination. As long as it reflects the reality and is not fraudulent, you are home and clear.
    https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Thanks for that..
      Couple of further points..

A ) if I was placed in an inside IR35 deemed contract then I would ask for a copy of the assessment because I reckon the end clients will be thinking that to make life easier let's make them inside IR35 but we will continue to treat contractors the same. ie. I may want regular supervision now or you are supposed to be providing this so called direction you have said. Where is that? You need to take more control over this project as well. The lists go on and on... the end client can't have the cake and eat it too. Then after I get all that, I will take you to the tribunal as I want the same rights as the permie sitting next to me

B) I still think like the working practices questionnaire that was bouncing around central government departments over the last few years. People will quickly work out how to answer it so it sits outside IR35 - there must be a way of answering it so it comes out with that otherwise it's a bit like a North Korean election.
      I think you're missing the point that the tool is simply designed to assist the PS client in making a determination. A determination which they're naturally inclined towards making inside. Quite a few PS clients probably won't even touch the tool and will simply deem all contractors to be inside or require the use of an umbrella, contractually (as in TfL). For those that do use the tool, it's going to be heavily biased towards an inside determination. The tool itself has no legal standing, although HMRC have agreed to stand by a decision, if it's "used properly" (). If you ever get to a tribunal, it won't be the tool that determines your status.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
        A) Yes, one assumes that any reasonable organisation would evidence their decision. The easiest way is to provide the relevant ESS

B) You can take as many tests as you like, anonymously, so in theory yes you can reverse engineer it until you get an outside determination. As long as it reflects the reality and is not fraudulent, you are home and clear.
        So it isn't 1 test per contract? The end client could in principle take the test a number of times?
        I do wonder who is 'taking' this test within the PS body - HR admin officer who probably doesn't care and wants to make their life easy.

Comment

So it isn't 1 test per contract? The end client could in principle take the test a number of times?
          I do wonder who is 'taking' this test within the PS body - HR admin officer who probably doesn't care and wants to make their life easy.
          It's a lot more than a junior staff member looking for an easy life, it will be the HR Head of Department looking for advice from the legal team when they learn that they'll be liable for tax if they get it wrong.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
            It's a lot more than a junior staff member looking for an easy life, it will be the HR Head of Department looking for advice from the legal team when they learn that they'll be liable for tax if they get it wrong.
            Normally heads of HR hate contractors and consultants, inside or outside IR35 so there is no chance that they will spend an hour + of their time and do this - their first comment will be employ someone permanent!

It should and you would hope be the hiring manager who on the most part would be quite of-fay with contractors. Some of them may have been one in a previous life so should 'get it'. But who knows...

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              You're not suggesting that there are fundamental flaws in the implementation logic are you? Heaven forbid.
              Can any one else spell here comes the next P P I compensation...

Comment

Normally heads of HR hate contractors and consultants, inside or outside IR35 so there is no chance that they will spend an hour + of their time and do this - their first comment will be employ someone permanent!

It should and you would hope be the hiring manager who on the most part would be quite of-fay with contractors. Some of them may have been one in a previous life so should 'get it'. But who knows...
                It can't be the hiring manager, he won't be in a position to sign off what is both a monetary and political decision.... As such I expect blanket decisions like TFL with only very few exceptions....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                  It can't be the hiring manager, he won't be in a position to sign off what is both a monetary and political decision.... As such I expect blanket decisions like TFL with only very few exceptions....
                  Don't be surprised if the TFL pronouncement is slowly brushed under the carpet or fully retracted.

Comment

Presume you are not au fait with using French phrases :-)

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                      This is exactly what I mean about the HR Head of Department making this decision...
                      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                      X