• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm contemplating running a book on the most popular questions. My current favourites are

"Is this legal?"

"Can I sue the agency for false representation?"

And of course

"How can I get around this?"

I will be returning to pointing and laughing at the idiots who choose the dodgy umbrellas offering 85%+ returns...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      I'm contemplating running a book on the most popular questions. My current favourites are

"Is this legal?"

"Can I sue the agency for false representation?"

And of course

"How can I get around this?"

I will be returning to pointing and laughing at the idiots who choose the dodgy umbrellas offering 85%+ returns...
      The latter one is my greatest concern. How do you ensure people join proper umbrellas when most people can't tell what's right from what's wrong and the wrong uns offer a far better return.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Education, but there are many out there who don't bother seeing beyond the £££ signs.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          The latter one is my greatest concern. How do you ensure people join proper umbrellas when most people can't tell what's right from what's wrong and the wrong uns offer a far better return.
          Define the term Proper. I worked with a chap years ago that was using Parasol and he swore everything was fine because they had an HMRC exception that meant they did not need to have receipts for the expenses that they paid to him.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Define the term Proper. I worked with a chap years ago that was using Parasol and he swore everything was fine because they had an HMRC exception that meant they did not need to have receipts for the expenses that they paid to him.

The ones listed on Ask an Umbrella Company - All Umbrella Companies Are Equal excluding the ineligible pnes.

Granted it's not the greatest list but it's the best I've seen

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              Education, but there are many out there who don't bother seeing beyond the £££ signs.
              I think we'll need to begin with the smaller agencies. It's worth noting that Andy didn't argue with my point that the umbrellas offering the biggest cash backs were the ones his agency recommends and uses.

S3 have an advantage in that they know what to look for smaller agencies won't.

Comment

I think we'll need to begin with the smaller agencies. It's worth noting that Andy didn't argue with my point that the umbrellas offering the biggest cash backs were the ones his agency recommends and uses.

In respect to what?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                  In respect to what?
                  Seeing past the £££s and confirming that company claiming to be an umbrella actual act as an umbrella should.

Comment

Seeing past the £££s and confirming that company claiming to be an umbrella actual act as an umbrella should.
                    The capability? Quite probably. The inclination? Depends on their business model. :
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Apologies for not answering your question directly. We choose umbrella companies on the basis of 1=compliance, 2=service and 3=commercial attractiveness in that order.

We check compliance by looking for some form of accreditation. FCSA and Professional Passport for example. We'll then review their accounts, processes and contracts.

Service we evidence via internal and external questionnaires and reading up on here

Commercial Attractiveness looks at payment terms and rebates.

I've turned down deals double what we currently have in place because criteria 1&2 were not satisfied. The commercial aspect is buttons compared to an investigation, tax liability or reputation hit.
                      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
                      X