• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Myself and another person who I work with in my current (soon to end) PS role have the same agency. We have separately emailed them to ask their position on the changes, SCD get outs, will they stay in the PS, will they deem everybody in IR35, and they have not replied to either of us. Yes, I know (now) that they cant say what they dont know (until the 5th).. but they didnt even bother with a holding pattern email.

Comment

Originally posted by westtester View Post
      Not yet. The reason we are all assuming that's what agencies will do is because we've worked with them for many years and experience suggests they will do what suits them and not us.
      Exactly! Why would an agency run the risk of paying contractors outside IR35 when they have no knowledge of the working practices/SDC aspects of the contract and when HMRC can raise the issue many years after the contract ended. They will take the safest option which will be to remove the risk of IR35 by ensuring contractors work via a brolly or on the payroll through IR35.
      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

I read today that the online tool will NOT be mandatory and there are no changes to the definition of IR35 so what stops an agency making a call that this contract is outside of IR35. The tool itself can't be used in a tribunal anyway and won't agencies just take out insurance in the unlikely case that there is a challenge from HMRC? Am I missing something?

Comment

Originally posted by difficulttimes View Post
          I read today that the online tool will NOT be mandatory and there are no changes to the definition of IR35 so what stops an agency making a call that this contract is outside of IR35. The tool itself can't be used in a tribunal anyway and won't agencies just take out insurance in the unlikely case that there is a challenge from HMRC? Am I missing something?
          Yep the post by boredbloke directly above yours. Agencies are risk adverse and this could currently go in any direction
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The tools itself might not be used but the tool is there to help quantify the contractors position based on a number of factors. Those factors WILL be used in a tribunal so effectively the same thing.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agencies are a dime a dozen.. it has to be the most competitive market out there and they come and go like the wind - I could set one up by the end of the day. Doesn't this make give an agency a competitive advantage? Many PS clients these days also don't always follow the frameworks and can be added to it afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                The tools itself might not be used but the tool is there to help quantify the contractors position based on a number of factors. Those factors WILL be used in a tribunal so effectively the same thing.
                The tool is just there to help make a decision if the end client and intermediary are happy that so be it. Has HMRC ever won a IR35 decision? All this has done is put the fear of god through everyone - they will use this fear to force people inside IR35. Unless there is a tightening up of the legislation that states that this tool has to be used in all cases of off-payroll working then why use it if all parties are comfortable that it sits outside?

Comment

Out of interest - if you and the agency and the client deem the contract to be outside IR35 and you are paid as such, if HMRC then decide you are not, who are they going to come after for the extra tax, repayment of monies taken in lieu of expenses etc - my guess, as you've already been paid and you don't have access to expensive lawyers, HMRC will be after you.
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Well it is the intermediary then right? Who will have insurance to cover this unlikely event. They have no 'greater powers' than they do at the moment to go after you and in some respect you are more protected. The reason the tool is not mandatory is that it will be changed along the way and what happens then? Do you have to re-take the test and then re-do your contract everytime HMRC have updated the tool? Please that is never going to happen. Also, won't forums like this promote how to 'answer' the questions? As it's not mandatory they can't use this at a tribunal judge can they and even if it was they would have to change the original 2000 IR35 legislation which they are not.

Comment

Well it is the intermediary then right? Who will have insurance to cover this unlikely event. They have no 'greater powers' than they do at the moment to go after you and in some respect you are more protected. The reason the tool is not mandatory is that it will be changed along the way and what happens then? Do you have to re-take the test and then re-do your contract everytime HMRC have updated the tool? Please that is never going to happen. Also, won't forums like this promote how to 'answer' the questions? As it's not mandatory they can't use this at a tribunal judge can they and even if it was they would have to change the original 2000 IR35 legislation which they are not.
                      Possibly...but it could also be you. So all parties agree that a contract that should now be inside IR35 is outside. The agency pay you the non ir35 amount. Then at a later date HMRC come along and decide that the contract should have been inside IR35 and the agency didn't deduct the IR35 tax, my guess is that the agency will be able to worm out of it and it's back to the contractor for the ir35 back taxes. Even if they still hit the agency for the taxes, they'll probably hit the contractor for any and all expenses claimed on a contract where they shouldn't have been able to claim any.

But then regarding the insurance....have you any idea how expensive it would be for an agency to insure itself against the tax liabilities for each and every contractor working through them - spanning years? It's not going to happen. Instead they will simply adopt the default that the contract is inside IR35. In exactly the same way they did when they stopped allowing contractors to be classed as self employed in the 70's. It will simply be the case that if you want the contract you'll to work via their brolly or you could still use your limited company but tax will be deducted at source and you'll still have all the other company expenses to pay out of your post tax income!

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X