• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Staying in the same public sector contract after April 2017

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by londonlad View Post
    That's only if you sell your service.

Consider this, you sell your service £300 + 60 (vat) to end client.
    What if you don't sell your service £0 + £0 (vat)

HMRC losing £60 in VAT, is that not right?
    I see what your thinking ... assume PS would normally pay £1000 in vat to HMRC . If you then sell your service , they net that £60 so they pay £940 to HMRC and your company pays the other £60 to HMRC. Back to same net position you started with.

Comment

Well, I don't think that's necessary as the example given is realistic and practical.

It is similar to employee working in a company. HMRC will only get ENI, NI and Tax if person is working. No income for HMRC if someone is unemployed.
      Nope go and look at my first example. Then remember that most public sector departments will pay VAT out and reclaim it at the end of the month / quarter directly from HMRC... VAT unless you are selling from a shop to the general public is a zero sum game...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Nope go and look at my first example. Then remember that most public sector departments will pay VAT out and reclaim it at the end of the month / quarter directly from HMRC... VAT unless you are selling from a shop to the general public is a zero sum game...
        Or work in certain industries, finance, insurance etc......where the company cannot claim it back.
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Have just seen a letter e-mailed from Capita to their contractors. It talks through the changes and links to the gov.uk pages. It looked pretty good for Crapita from a quick scan. No new information. They did provide an e-mail address in case of any questions

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Or work in certain industries, finance, insurance etc......where the company cannot claim it back.
              Yep I already stated that in my first reply -and as we are talking about the public sector I really don't want to repeat it again.

However I will add argue that with HMRC when it comes to IR35 and they will adopt their standard "VAT is a zero sum game" defence and ignore the argument (and probably the entire response).

Comment

Originally posted by 5000 View Post
                Have just seen a letter e-mailed from Capita to their contractors. It talks through the changes and links to the gov.uk pages. It looked pretty good for Crapita from a quick scan. No new information. They did provide an e-mail address in case of any questions
                So are they going to drop the BET requirements from their engagement process now?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  So are they going to drop the BET requirements from their engagement process now?
                  I know that they persisted with the BETS even after the gov website said that they should not be used. I believe they that have stopped now but it would not suprise me if some sections of Capita still asked for them.

From the letter it looks like they intend to take inside/outside direction from the public sector body

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    So if that's the case am I right in thinking?

Scenario

Public sector employed a contractor and paid £300 + £60 (vat) = £360

Contractor Paid £60 Vat to HMRC

Assuming there is nothing else for Public sector to claim back and only claim back £60 from HMRC, so the total impact is nil.

HMRC collected £60 from contractor and paid back to public sector. Impact is nil again.

Is this the case then?

Comment

So if that's the case am I right in thinking?

Scenario

Public sector employed a contractor and paid £300 + £60 (vat) = £360

Contractor Paid £60 Vat to HMRC

Assuming there is nothing else for Public sector to claim back and only claim back £60 from HMRC, so the total impact is nil.

HMRC collected £60 from contractor and paid back to public sector. Impact is nil again.

Is this the case then?
                      Yep VAT in most cases is a zero sum game for us (although with flat rate until April 1st we make a slight profit from it). Everyone has paperwork relating to it but no one makes a profit from it.

Comment

Working...
                      X