• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC enquiries for EBT schemes through Kinsella Solutions Ltd

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RajaStyle View Post
    Hi all, I have received a letter too re Kinsella from HMRC relating to 2006-2007 tax year. It was a settlement letter written on 10th September but I only received it on 19th September and they want an answer by 30th September giving me just 10 days to decide what to do. Is this allowable ? Clearly doesn't give me time to think.

HMRC have stated that they have estimated the amount of the loans and charged me interest accordingly.

I'm also interested to know how other people are doing with their investigations please?

tried to contact Mike Kerridge but his phones just go to voicemail.

Any advise welcome

ADMIN - Can I please have PM ability to message others who might have some further details around this issue, thanks.
    Sounds odd - how can HMRC send you a demand for a Self Assessment year more than 7 years back? Or had they previously sent you a letter to open the enquiry?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Sounds odd - how can HMRC send you a demand for a Self Assessment year more than 7 years back? Or had they previously sent you a letter to open the enquiry?
      I got a simple letter back in 2010 (I think) that said ' this is a letter to let you know we are looking into you're employment with Kinsella' and then I never heard anything until now 5 years later.

I did inform Kinsella at the time as they were still operational and they sais they were aware a few people had received these letters and instructed all verbally and by blanket email not to worry about it as they are answering all the HMRC questions being asked. In effect they are dealing with it. As went quiet and nothing further happened I assumed it was all dealt with ... idiot I know.

Comment

I got a simple letter back in 2010 (I think) that said ' this is a letter to let you know we are looking into you're employment with Kinsella' and then I never heard anything until now 5 years later.

I did inform Kinsella at the time as they were still operational and they sais they were aware a few people had received these letters and instructed all verbally and by blanket email not to worry about it as they are answering all the HMRC questions being asked. In effect they are dealing with it. As went quiet and nothing further happened I assumed it was all dealt with ... idiot I know.
        Hi RajaStyle,

I am in the same boat as you, I originally got a letter from HMRC in 2009 stating that they wanted information about my employment with Kinsella. Like you, I didn't reply to HMRC, I forwarded the letter onto Kinsella, who replied with an email basically stating that this is normal, not to worry about it, and they have taken care of it. (I still have this email to refer back to).

Then at the end of August a letter arrives from HMRC, asking for a five figure amount in tax, and guesstimating the loan amounts (which, like a lot of other people on here, are higher than the actual amounts I was loaned). Surely HMRC already have the correct loan amounts from the P11Ds that were sent back to them?

Comment

Originally posted by howmuchtax View Post
          Surely HMRC already have the correct loan amounts from the P11Ds that were sent back to them?
          This has been covered elsewhere, but yes, HMRC do have the P11Ds, however they chose to use a model to estimate values instead.
          Conveniently, their model results in much higher loan figures than actual. Is the aim to "maximize the amount of tax collected "? You be the judge...
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            This has been covered elsewhere, but yes, HMRC do have the P11Ds, however they chose to use a model to estimate values instead.
            Conveniently, their model results in much higher loan figures than actual. Is the aim to "maximize the amount of tax collected "? You be the judge...
            On the anticipation that you didn't keep the records and you will willingly pay up on that basis ?

Comment

On the anticipation that you didn't keep the records and you will willingly pay up on that basis ?
              Probably the latter. Statistically, about half of recipients do not challenge their APN figures.

Comment

Anyway would welcome any advice on how people are dealing with this are they reaching out to Mike Kerridge who was part of this facility originally or just negotiating/fighting/paying themselves ?

Comment

couple of link I found, trying to dig around

Kinsella, Keypay and Berwick Associates

HMRC Enquiries for EBT Schemes through Kinsella Solutions Ltd
                  Last edited by RajaStyle; 21 September 2015, 15:24.

Comment

Anyway would welcome any advice on how people are dealing with this are they reaching out to Mike Kerridge who was part of this facility originally or just negotiating/fighting/paying themselves ?
                    Many are resisting it.Big Group is a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
                      Many are resisting it.Big Group is a good place to start.
                      Yep join Big Group, many of us taking the fight to HMRC

Comment

Working...
                      X