• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by davedavis View Post
    Mr Perry,

It is obvious that the only reason you post on this forum is to sell your services and make money. You prey on peoples fears by issuing warnings and highlighting the downside at every opportunity.

You are just an 'ambulance chaser' at best, and at worst, you are a disgrace to your profession
    I think you will find that he has been very upfront from the beginning about what he was doing and offering to do, otherwise Cojak and Admin would have kicked him out a long time ago.

Reading what he has said, I really don't think he could do much more. He has offered to provide the help he can and has stated above exactly what the perceived current state of play is. Which is that DOTAS scheme members who put the DOTAS number on their self assessments will probably have to pay HMRC later this year....

If no DOTAS number is recorded on your self assessment forms than you may not need to pay now, but HMRC may well descend on you in ways that make BN66 look pleasant...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I think you will find that he has been very upfront from the beginning about what he was doing and offering to do, otherwise Cojak and Admin would have kicked him out a long time ago.
      What exactly is Mr Perry offering other than alert scheme users to possible HMRC tactics and intentions? He must have come to within a whisker of being banned going by the number of warnings he’s had?

Reading what he has said, I really don't think he could do much more. He has offered to provide the help he can and has stated above exactly what the perceived current state of play is. Which is that DOTAS scheme members who put the DOTAS number on their self assessments will probably have to pay HMRC later this year... .
      I agree, what more could or can he do? He appears quite content to take astronomical fees upfront however for something that seemingly he can’t help with. Just how is he is going to prevent HMRC from making scheme users pay up? I really would like to know the answer to this.

If no DOTAS number is recorded on your self assessment forms than you may not need to pay now, but HMRC may well descend on you in ways that make BN66 look pleasant...
      I can’t see how it’s going to be any more unpleasant either way to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Krung Thep View Post
        Because of the somewhat draconian potential penalties for a scheme not being registered or not declaring use when it should have been.

Comment

What exactly is Mr Perry offering other than alert scheme users to possible HMRC tactics and intentions? He must have come to within a whisker of being banned going by the number of warnings he’s had?

I agree, what more could or can he do? He appears quite content to take astronomical fees upfront however for something that seemingly he can’t help with. Just how is he is going to prevent HMRC from making scheme users pay up? I really would like to know the answer to this.

I have to ask what can't he help you on. Has he walked away from what I imagine he thought he was going to do which would be to advise people up to an example case with HMRC at the first tax tribunal? or are you just annoyed that you will have to pay HMRC upfront and then wait and see if you win the tribunal?

Note I'm not trying to antagonise anyone here, I'm merely curious what he has done to annoy people so much...

Comment

I have to ask what can't he help you on.
            As I stated, I don’t believe he has it within his gift to prevent HMRC from collecting what they believe is due. It’s all very well having advice but the bottom line is, people want a solution that means they don’t have to pay up. Can he offer this? I think not but more than delighted to be proved wrong.

Has he walked away from what I imagine he thought he was going to do which would be to advise people up to an example case with HMRC at the first tax tribunal? or are you just annoyed that you will have to pay HMRC upfront and then wait and see if you win the tribunal? .
            Well he’s not going to walk away from the bumper payday that’s coming his way is he? I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not in the slightest bit annoyed. I haven’t made what I believe to be the injudicious decision to hand over a wad of cash to him and all my details.

Comment

As I stated, I don’t believe he has it within his gift to prevent HMRC from collecting what they believe is due. It’s all very well having advice but the bottom line is, people want a solution that means they don’t have to pay up. Can he offer this? I think not but more than delighted to be proved wrong.

Well he’s not going to walk away from the bumper payday that’s coming his way is he? I can’t speak for anyone else but I’m not in the slightest bit annoyed. I haven’t made what I believe to be the injudicious decision to hand over a wad of cash to him and all my details.
              So you aren't using him, you haven't paid him any money yet are happy to accuse him without evidence of taking money under false pretences (something that might be called libel)...

The changes in the forthcoming finance bill came from left field nothing anyone can do will stop you having to potentially pay up later this year. No one expected this to appear and its written in such a way that few can do much about it although I'm sure the courts will be very busy rather quickly....

The one thing he was offering was the possibility of not having to pay the tax bill. The only thing that has changed is that instead of not having to pay the tax bill (which from left field will now be due far far earlier) that offer has mutated into the possibility of getting the money back. It may work, it may not but I'm sure for many spending £1000 to regain £20,000+ may be a worthwhile risk....
              Last edited by eek; 7 April 2014, 19:49.

Comment

Which is that DOTAS scheme members who put the DOTAS number on their self assessments will probably have to pay HMRC later this year....

If no DOTAS number is recorded on your self assessment forms than you may not need to pay now
                Nope, if the scheme is registered is the key thing, if you didn't put it on the self assessment form it makes no difference. The Edge scheme was registered.

Comment

May I remind people that this forum is moderated.

Feel free to challenge but I will remove any post I think are libellous. Continue to post in this manner and I will infract posters.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                    Nope, if the scheme is registered is the key thing, if you didn't put it on the self assessment form it makes no difference. The Edge scheme was registered.
                    apart from the fact that

In response to the disclosure, HMRC issues a Scheme Reference Number (SRN)
                    that provides a unique identifier for the scheme. A taxpayer who has entered into
                    that scheme is required to enter the SRN on their tax return.
                    and I can guess what HMRC do when they find people didn't enter their details...

Comment

The law being discussed here specifies user of DOTAS registered schemes will get an accelerated payment notice, not individuals who put the SRN on their tax return.

Not arguing on any other point or what the implications of not having done it are.

Comment

Working...
                      X