• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by happychap View Post
    On my tax return I placed the DOTAS number in the relevant space I also told them specifically what I was doing with regards a tax avoidance scheme and lastly I placed my loans received in the White space still they used discovery.

We are fighting a losing battle
    You've got a good prospect at tribunal. Remember, HMRC regularly chance their arm.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      You've got a good prospect at tribunal. Remember, HMRC regularly chance their arm.
      Yep HMRC clearly have messed up but know that most people don't know what the rules actually are. Hence they can get people to just pay up rather than seeking advice and telling HMRC "good try, you bunch of utter chancers..."
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Yep HMRC clearly have messed up but know that most people don't know what the rules actually are. Hence they can get people to just pay up rather than seeking advice and telling HMRC "good try, you bunch of utter chancers..."
        HMRC do say that ignorance is no excuse.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          WHS

HMRC trying to use discovery is one thing. As I pointed out on the previous page, they don't always win the argument, but they win enough times to be significant.

In your case, sounds like you have more evidence than most on your side. Chin up and fight.

Comment

If, for example, someone wrote to you saying that an invoice you recently paid was being reviewed and that they would get back to you "if something was wrong". How long would you be expected to wait until you could reasonably assume that because no further contact had been made that all is OK and no further action would follow.

3mths? 6mths? 8 years????

Comment

Hmmm

Originally posted by gettingangry View Post
              If, for example, someone wrote to you saying that an invoice you recently paid was being reviewed and that they would get back to you "if something was wrong". How long would you be expected to wait until you could reasonably assume that because no further contact had been made that all is OK and no further action would follow.

3mths? 6mths? 8 years????
              I think that would be 6 years!

Comment

law onto themselves

Yes I to received a cop8 notice for 05/06 telling me looking into it centrally then nothing at all for 7 and a half years until the settlement letter drops on the mat. Who else could ever do that. All the time knocking up interest which is now nearly 30% of the tax bill on top. If only there was a 6 year rule in which they had to do something.
                they say this has come about now not retrospectively through the anti avoidance change in the law but they have always been able to do this. Then why the huge time gap and then the deluge of letters.

Comment

What I don't understand is how they can apply a recent-ish change of law to tax returns from 7+ years ago? Like changing the speed limit and issuing tickets for those who 'drove too fast' back in 2006?

Comment

Replies to letters - the HMRC Where's My Reply page won't cope with letters dated before 05/04/2011
                    HM Revenue & Customs: Where's My Reply? - Income Tax

If I had written to them on 06/04/2011 they should have replied by 08/06/2011, so I presuming if it would accept 01/02/2008 they would have got back to me by May 2008 not December 2014.

Comment

Norla urgent help needed

Hi

I received a letter from hmrc for 09/10 regarding Norla and am wondering what to do with regards to the settlement opportunity. Please can I urgently have access to the private group as I need to make a decision and want to understand what my options are.

Thanks
                      Cooper

Comment

Working...
                      X