• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does Michelle have to say? Didn't she work for Redstone?
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

LinkedIN says
      Michelle Booth
      Recruitment Consultant at LINK Recruitment
      Isle of Man, United Kingdom Human Resources

Could be a different Michelle Booth

Anyone got an email address for redstone

Comment

settlement going back years

I got my letter asking if I would like to settle from the edge employment.
        I left in April 2007, so my figures are from years 2005/06, 2006/07. All I ever got was a cop8 notice telling me they would let me know of the outcome, then not one word from HMRC for 8 years until this.
        even if their figures are right the interest is ridiculous. How can they not say a word for 8 years but just keep racking up the interest in the background without even making a demand or mentioning the interest building up. At least other people have had demands or discovery notices to know somthing was going on.

Comment

HMRC can do that. With new powers even more to force u to pay and then up to u to go to court. No point crying about what HMRC can do and what not - instead join the scheme group and go to tribunal if u have a case.

Comment

Contractor Loans Settlement Opportunity - arrangements used up to 5 April 2011

Hi all,

this is my first post to Contractor UK.

I got a letter from hmrc in July this year 2014 and havent responded to them yet - considering my response now. The letter is completely lacking any detail and is not an assessment and simply offers a settlement opportunity available until 9th January 2015. There are no figures or calculations or names of companies I worked for and the only reference number is 'CLSO' - it is from Miss Stopp at Bootle.

I worked first for Greenbay and then Edge up until October 2005. I dont think DOTAS numbers even existed then. I have trawled these forums but have not found someone posting with a similar situation as mine.

I have read in this thread that hmrc can only go back 4 or 6 years which appears to let me of the hook so how should I respond to hmrc?

Any advice is very welcome.

Comment

If u had an enquiry open, HMRC have not time limits.

Comment

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
                If u had an enquiry open, HMRC have not time limits.
                No, I have no open enquiries - this is the first time that hmrc has contacted me about EBT.

Comment

Then u should be ok.

Comment

Section 9a taxes management act 1970

According to some websites a Section 9a taxes management act 1970 can be issued up to 12 months after the filing date of tax return.
                    A Code of Practice 8 (COP8) or Code of Practice 9 (COP9) may follow the Section 9A.

Not sure of my exact filing data so presume 31st Jan year after

Return 2008-09 - filing date 31/01/2010 - Section 9a deadline 31/01/2011 - section 9a letter dated 1 February 2013 - too late!?!?
                    Return 2009-10 - filing date 31/01/2011 - Section 9a deadline 31/01/2012 - section 9a letter dated 1 November 2013 - too late!?!?

2005 - 06 - letter (dated Jan 2008) doesn't even mention Section 9a - it does say "I will let you know if anything is wrong" - they didn't - first I knew of this is when I received a settlement figure.

UK Personal Tax Return and a Section 9A Enquiry Letter from HMRC
                    Opening and Working Enquiries: SA Returns filed on time

Comment

Yes, that's all well and good for enquiries but there are also discovery assessments which start at 4 years. check the sticky/background info for more details.

Originally posted by gettingangry View Post
                      According to some websites a Section 9a taxes management act 1970 can be issued up to 12 months after the filing date of tax return.
                      A Code of Practice 8 (COP8) or Code of Practice 9 (COP9) may follow the Section 9A.

Not sure of my exact filing data so presume 31st Jan year after

Return 2008-09 - filing date 31/01/2010 - Section 9a deadline 31/01/2011 - section 9a letter dated 1 February 2013 - too late!?!?
                      Return 2009-10 - filing date 31/01/2011 - Section 9a deadline 31/01/2012 - section 9a letter dated 1 November 2013 - too late!?!?

2005 - 06 - letter (dated Jan 2008) doesn't even mention Section 9a - it does say "I will let you know if anything is wrong" - they didn't - first I knew of this is when I received a settlement figure.

UK Personal Tax Return and a Section 9A Enquiry Letter from HMRC
                      Opening and Working Enquiries: SA Returns filed on time

Comment

Working...
                      X