• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Edge EBT thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for your replies everyone. Have decided to ride it out and see what happens in January.

Comment

Hello,

Please can you grant me pm access?

Thanks

Comment

Hello

I left UK in 08 but was part of the edge/norla scheme in 06/07 and 07/08. I also received this letter on Friday 15th.
        Not sure what to do at this stage but as have a few months grace I will join some of the focus groups and listen in here before a decision is made.
        Either way I will not have the funds to pay so unsure of what they can do being that I am out of the country. If I sit back and wait until Jan I will be unable to attend the court etc to defend myself due to obvious reasons of not being resident.
        Confused - yes....

Comment

Originally posted by pc101 View Post
          I think it depends on whether you want to 'settle' or not. The demands are outrageous in my opinion, retrospectively reclassifying EBT
          schemes isn't holding up (rangers case for example). But, these are new times and it's clear HMRC are on a mission so you should decide on whether you'll dig in or settle up. By dig in I would suggest joining one of the Edge groups. Links in post #1 and also repeated throughout this thread. Settlement to the HMRC means pay everything THEY say you owe (which most of us can't figure out how they've calculated it) plus interest, which for you could be a lot since it's 04/05.
          Also, with the 2014 finance act being passed, APNs are expected to be issued. So you may have to pay the lot to a HMRC holding account until YOU prove your innocence. Grrrr.
          Agree with the above comment. There is no middle ground for negotiations, it's either settle or join the group. With regards to the groups, it's would be nice that these groups merged to act as a single unit. United we stand!
          Last edited by SimonJones; 18 August 2014, 09:00. Reason: Incomplete

Comment

mmmm

Dezze
            i would check whether NZ has a tax ageement with the UK?
            If not and u are never coming back start saving till they do get one cos they will eventually - look at Switzerland you'd have been better off murdering someone than being in the edge scheme..... at least you would get a fair trial

Comment

Does asking for an estimate mean you forfeit your right to appeal?

Originally posted by meanttobeworking View Post
              I have, although I'm "lucky" enough to have only been with Edge for a few months.
              I also contracted through Edge/Norla for just a few months in 2007 and the temptation to just pay and be rid of the hassle is high. However, I don't agree with HMRC and think that retrospectively taxing people who believed that they were not doing anything wrong is absurd.

If I ask for an assessment of what I owe, is it likely I lose my right to appeal?

Any accountants out there who can do the assessment without me going to HMRC?

Comment

Originally posted by Youvegottobekiddingme View Post
                I also contracted through Edge/Norla for just a few months in 2007 and the temptation to just pay and be rid of the hassle is high. However, I don't agree with HMRC and think that retrospectively taxing people who believed that they were not doing anything wrong is absurd.

If I ask for an assessment of what I owe, is it likely I lose my right to appeal?

Not at all, but do bare in mind that if you are not under investigation then you probably are not required to do anything.

Comment

Not sure if I'm under investigation. I received the offer to settle letter though. How can I check without drawing unwanted attention?

Comment

Originally posted by Youvegottobekiddingme View Post

Why would asking how much they are disputing result in you not being able to appeal?
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I assume it would give them the impression that I'm admitting they are in the right. Reread the letter this evening and I see now that it's ok to get an assessment so I'll ask them for one.

Comment

Working...
                      X