• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nervous72 View Post
    Hi Webberg, thanks for the reply. Not sure I understand the difference though.

AML state that they will appeal the letter within the 30days. What happens if it is rejected? Does the letter stand stand or is there still opportunity to negotiate amount or time to pay? Anyone with this experience?
    You can ALWAYS negotiate time to pay. Start early.

I'd have to see the AML stuff to comment further.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

HMRC AML assessment notice

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      You can ALWAYS negotiate time to pay. Start early.

I'd have to see the AML stuff to comment further.
      I've also received an assessment from HMRC and would have thought that AML would be managing this sort of thing. Sadly the assessment is charging tax on earnings £30,000 more than I earned, which I can prove. Not sure how confident I am with AML at the moment because they keep saying that they are managing it and I sent a letter to HMRC for them to represent me but HMRC seem to want to ignore it. Just a bit unsure as to whether to go direct to HMRC or back to AML to deal with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tassiedi View Post
        I've also received an assessment from HMRC and would have thought that AML would be managing this sort of thing. Sadly the assessment is charging tax on earnings £30,000 more than I earned, which I can prove. Not sure how confident I am with AML at the moment because they keep saying that they are managing it and I sent a letter to HMRC for them to represent me but HMRC seem to want to ignore it. Just a bit unsure as to whether to go direct to HMRC or back to AML to deal with.
        The assessments are to frighten you, and they do, i know I received one. They have included 18% fees that AML took and NI in the assessment figures, hence how high they are. Get AML to appeal and send them scan of assessment, I did and have had appeal accepted. Then ultimately save as much as you can for when the inevitable happens that's then demand payment through APN or follower Notice.

Another suggestion is join Big Group and get impartial advice and consider the Big Group strategy of negotiated settlement.
        http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
          The assessments are to frighten you, and they do, i know I received one. They have included 18% fees that AML took and NI in the assessment figures, hence how high they are. Get AML to appeal and send them scan of assessment, I did and have had appeal accepted. Then ultimately save as much as you can for when the inevitable happens that's then demand payment through APN or follower Notice.

Another suggestion is join Big Group and get impartial advice and consider the Big Group strategy of negotiated settlement.
          The assessment letters are very frightening, just received one last week. Have passed on to AML to appeal. What happens after the appeal? How successful have AML been at appealing?

I also encourage joining BG, it's better to have been in a negotiating situation from the start. The earlier BG has a large enough mass, the earlier HMRC have to engage and hopefully act reasonably.

Comment

Unfortunately, i've found AML to be very silent on individual updates.

I can appreciate they're dealing with a large volume of queries, but the lack of information coming back out doesn't help alleviate any of the stress

Comment

Originally posted by mrmonkeyboy View Post
              Unfortunately, i've found AML to be very silent on individual updates.

I can appreciate they're dealing with a large volume of queries, but the lack of information coming back out doesn't help alleviate any of the stress
              Have you considered joining Big Group. Quite a few ex-Aml people have.

The problem is AML will only bat away the problem, what is needed is actual First Tax Tribunal case to have our day in court. Lucky in that AML are still around but there is little chance of them dealing with us on an individual by individual basis, they simply have not got the manpower.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Joined the Big Group last week!

Would just like AML to be open about the next steps, if they're struggling with the volume then just say.

I'm from a background where even visibility of the blockers/issues is better than radio silence.

Comment

AML - No impact of Autumn Statement

Just received this few minutes ago.

Be Prepared for What's Ahead - Forward thinking solutions
                  As a professional contractor you may be concerned by upcoming changes to dividend taxation (which could result in additional tax for limited company workers) or by the proposal to end travel and subsistence tax relief which is likely to hit the hardest on those operating via an Umbrella company.

Fortunately, AML have a strong understanding of the contractor market and our cutting edge strategies can help you mitigate any negative outcome from these upcoming changes and ensure you get the most out of your contract work.

Optima Professional
                  Our solution ensures you will be unaffected by the proposed dividend tax changes.
                  - Bolt on to your existing company set up
                  - Returns of up to 82%

Optima Employed
                  Unlike traditional Umbrella provides, our solution doesn't rely on offsetting expenses to reduce your tax liability.
                  - Ideal for recruitment agency contractors
                  - Returns of up to 82%

Comment

I guess they are just doing as if this clause never existed.
                    Life is peachy.
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Originally posted by eazy View Post
                      Just received this few minutes ago.

Be Prepared for What's Ahead - Forward thinking solutions
                      As a professional contractor you may be concerned by upcoming changes to dividend taxation (which could result in additional tax for limited company workers) or by the proposal to end travel and subsistence tax relief which is likely to hit the hardest on those operating via an Umbrella company.

Fortunately, AML have a strong understanding of the contractor market and our cutting edge strategies can help you mitigate any negative outcome from these upcoming changes and ensure you get the most out of your contract work.

Optima Professional
                      Our solution ensures you will be unaffected by the proposed dividend tax changes.
                      - Bolt on to your existing company set up
                      - Returns of up to 82%

Optima Employed
                      Unlike traditional Umbrella provides, our solution doesn't rely on offsetting expenses to reduce your tax liability.
                      - Ideal for recruitment agency contractors
                      - Returns of up to 82%
                      Ask them how this complies with clause 3.82 of the Blue Book yesterday.

If the answer is "it's perfectly legal", ask them if it will survive a "purposive test".

If they say yes, ask them for a guarantee, backed by an insurance policy, that they will not only defend the scheme but will also compensate you for tax found to be due.
                      Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                      X