• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Autumn Statement 25 November 2015 - reaction/thoughts/rants/

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
    I read that as "in (say) 10 years time a government can make up some new laws and back date them to today"
    "It's worse than that, he's dead Jim"

This implies action against past schemes as well as future ones.

And yes you are right that in 5 years time HMRC could point to this day and say "we warned you".
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      "It's worse than that, he's dead Jim"

This implies action against past schemes as well as future ones.

And yes you are right that in 5 years time HMRC could point to this day and say "we warned you".
      Without scaremongering, I would hope this doesn't mean all those APNs that have been withdrawn due to "no valid inquiry" are reinstated following a change of law (to allow APN without inquiry) backdated to today with the new APNs dated tomorrow...

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        Without scaremongering, I would hope this doesn't mean all those APNs that have been withdrawn due to "no valid inquiry" are reinstated following a change of law (to allow APN without inquiry) backdated to today with the new APNs dated tomorrow...
        Very unlikely

(No, me neither).

Comment

Unacceptable

Section 3.87 of the Treasury Blue Book above is a shocking denial of HMRC's culpability in creating a situation and a not so veiled threat about the future.

The proposal of action against those who have used or continue to use arrangements, without specifying what action (and in effect just being a direct threat) is contrary to the rule of law.

Arguably, saying that they reserve the right to legislation in the future but backdated to today, is unconstitutional. How can you arrange your affairs if you don't know what the rules are? What happens to investment and plans for future businesses if you cannot know the law?

Unfortunately the latter position was introduced some years ago by a Labour Treasury minister and no politician since has been sufficiently challenged to reverse it.

to be continued...

(No, me neither).

Comment

And...there goes the principle of certainty in law! UK going full retard
            Once the Retro genie was out of the bottle, there was no way it was coming back in.
            Last edited by DotasScandal; 25 November 2015, 14:55.
            Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

A principle of natural justice is certainty of action. This drives another coach and horses through that. Certainty is given by applying the law (however unclear) as it stands at the time of the action.

A stupid example might be I choose to drive at 40 in a 30, knowing full well the penalty is 3 points and a means related fine. If they choose next week to make the penalty execution that may well affect my action from then. Applying that back to today is contrary to all forms of natural justice.

Of course retrospection will only be used in extreme case. But who defines extreme and when.

Anything they subsequently decide is abusive is at risk. What is to stop that being pension contributions. Dividends (large) in a small company for example. As the tide pulls back the threshold of where abusive is will naturally drop.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                A stupid example might be I choose to drive at 40 in a 30, knowing full well the penalty is 3 points and a means related fine. If they choose next week to make the penalty execution that may well affect my action from then. Applying that back to today is contrary to all forms of natural justice.
                A 5 year old would get it, but go try and explain that to Osborne. It's obviously beyond his comprehension.

Originally posted by ASB View Post
                Of course retrospection will only be used in extreme case. But who defines extreme and when.
                Anything they subsequently decide is abusive is at risk. What is to stop that being pension contributions. Dividends (large) in a small company for example. As the tide pulls back the threshold of where abusive is will naturally drop.
                Very simple: the end justifies the means, and the needs of the moment define the ends!
                Stalin would have been proud.
                Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

The only thing that surprises me is that HMG haven't used retrospective legislation more often since they established the precedent with us in 2008.

At least people now are getting a warning, which is more than we ever did.

I'm afraid the rule of law ain't what it used to be. Certainty, natural justice, forget it.

Comment

Comment

AccountingWeb : GAAR gets more teeth

Autumn Statement: GAAR gets more teeth
                      Autumn Statement: GAAR gets more teeth | AccountingWEB

Extracts:

George Osborne has given the General Anti-Abuse Rule (GAAR) more teeth with new penalties in the Autumn Statement 2015.

In his statement Osborne revealed the introduction of a new penalty of 60% of the tax due to be charged in all cases successfully tackled by the GAAR. The government will also make small changes to the GAAR’s procedure to improve its ability to tackle marketed avoidance schemes.

Also revealed in the Autumn Statement, new rules will be introduced to stop avoidance of stamp tax where ‘deep in the money’ options are used to transfer shares to a depositary receipt issuer or clearance service.

To help reduce opportunities for income to be converted to capital to gain a tax advantage, the government will also shortly publish a consultation on the company distributions rules.

It will also amend the transactions in securities rules and introduce a ‘Targeted Anti-Avoidance Rule’, according to Treasury papers.

The Autumn Statement documentation also stated: “The government is aware of tax planning around the intangible fixed assets regime used to obtain more generous corporation tax relief than is intended by the legislation. It will therefore amend the regime to stop arrangements that use partnerships to obtain relief that was not intended.

“The government will also amend legislation to counter two types of avoidance involving capital allowances and leasing, which involve businesses artificially increasing the value of their capital allowances or lowering the amount of tax which they pay,” the statement reads.

Lucy Brennan, partner at Saffery Champness also commented on the anti-avoidance measures: “Although efficiency measures such as a combined centre and digitalisation will assist with this one has to ask, with the GAAR in place, where further avoidance will come from, given we are still waiting for the first GAAR cases to be heard.”

On capital allowances and leasing, the measure is in two parts: Preventing a person using an artificially low disposal value for capital allowances purposes on the disposal of plant or machinery where tax advantage is one of the main purposes of the arrangements which include that disposal; and it brings into tax as income, if not already so taxed, any consideration receivable by a person, or a connected person, for agreeing to take over payments under a lease for which that person can claim tax deductions.

Comment

Working...
                      X