• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AM Limited COP8 HMRC Investigation Letter..

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    APN is a signpost along the way on the journey, not a crossroads nor a destination.

JR may work (I confess that I'm a doubter) but if not, although it's a major financial headache, it's one that with careful management and communication can be overcome.

Losing the JR is irrelevant in terms of agreeing a final position. Win or lose, you need to agree that.

Settlement is one option. Don't lose it by not applying BEFORE TUESDAY 30th JUNE.
    Re settlement, I've contacted the HMRC settlement team for a Calculation Request, and got a response. Does that count as applying for settlement? Or is there another hoop to jump through?

Talking to the new accountant today about what he reckons I could owe. I reckon I can, at a stretch, cover whatever they charge for the EBT set-up.

It's the PBT set-up that's honestly going to wipe me out. And they've clearly lined me up, all my returns are now "queried", so it's now a matter of time. I'm a doubter about the JR as well -- the lack of communication from AML and the upcoming APN, it's as if I'm on some kind of death-row.

Just wish they'd get on with it, because the waiting is killing me.

Comment

Question Relating to Settlement

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      PM me
      Hi Webberg

I've been watching this forum with interest since I received my APN this year.

I am on the JR list so to speak but have noticed that my APN includes their calculations as 40% tax for the whole amount, which is incorrect given I would have had a tax free allowance for the year in question.

As AML are dealing with this on my behalf, so you think I should still contact HMRC to dispute the amount?

If so, wouldn't that effectively be a non-effective discussion as hopefully the JR will mitigate the APN anyway and I wouldn't intend to pay the settlement figure unless of course the JR was unsuccessful?

Also, and apologies for yet another question, I too am in the boat of not having the money to pay but could probably take care of it over a 12 month top arrangement. If I request this now, they will want payment to start now, even though the JR will still be in-flight.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheyCalledMeMrDennis View Post
        I don't have any spare cash at all, not enough even for the fee for AML's JR scheme, plus I have no assets at all so I cannot even settle. Basically I'm screwed, scared and wonder what's going to happen.
        Unfortunately I am in the same boat with no assets other than a car, but with 4 years of tax to potentially pay back bankruptcy will be my only choice I fear...

Planning move to a Ltd through accountant now, however it all may be too late to rectify...

Should I still be contacting HMRC today to try get a settlement figure? I read somewhere else today is the deadline? Help please

Comment

Originally posted by chessmaster View Post
          Should I still be contacting HMRC today to try get a settlement figure? I read somewhere else today is the deadline? Help please
          Yes, if only to get some figures and an estimate of your actual exposure. The deadline is indeed today, so get going: [email protected]

And once you have done that, join BIG GROUP (link below)
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

CLSO

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
            Yes, if only to get some figures and an estimate of your actual exposure. The deadline is indeed today, so get going: [email protected]

And once you have done that, join BIG GROUP (link below)
            Is this even the case if on the AML list for JR? It is not like I can then pay it as I am hoping the JR will have some form of success.

Comment

Originally posted by nbkubgw View Post
              Is this even the case if on the AML list for JR? It is not like I can then pay it as I am hoping the JR will have some form of success.
              I was with AML too, I didn't join JR, I don't have a great deal of hope it will succeed but would be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Personally, I think will should all be thinking of having a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C...and Big Group for its very small cost is a worthwhile & one of those Plans

BTW when you informed AML of APN did you mention that as you were employed by them aren't they ultimately responsible for deducting tax & NI liabilities? As time after time it was something they told me, as they were the Employers. It's a conversation I will soon be having with them any day now when my APN arrives.
              http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post

BTW when you informed AML of APN did you mention that as you were employed by them aren't they ultimately responsible for deducting tax & NI liabilities? As time after time it was something they told me, as they were the Employers. I's a conversation I will soon be having with them any day now when my APN arrives.
                LR, please let us know how that conversation goes if you don't mind ? I too was with AML but I chose to buy into the JR, just out of hope more than anything else and the fee seemed to justify the possible means. I have already received one AML APN, so don't want to battle with them just yet until the JR decision appears.
                STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
                  I was with AML too, I didn't join JR, I don't have a great deal of hope it will succeed but would be pleasantly surprised if it does.

Personally, I think will should all be thinking of having a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C...and Big Group for its very small cost is a worthwhile & one of those Plans

BTW when you informed AML of APN did you mention that as you were employed by them aren't they ultimately responsible for deducting tax & NI liabilities? As time after time it was something they told me, as they were the Employers. It's a conversation I will soon be having with them any day now when my APN arrives.
                  Well my problem is the deadline today for settlement opportunity. I am part of the JR but I need to know if I should ALSO call the settlement opportunity as the figures on my APN are all @ 40% even though I would have had a lot of it on the free, low and middle tax tiers for that year. Thing is, if I don't call today does it mean if the JR is unsuccessful, I then cannot challenge the amounts in the APN?

Comment

Well my problem is the deadline today for settlement opportunity. I am part of the JR but I need to know if I should ALSO call the settlement opportunity as the figures on my APN are all @ 40% even though I would have had a lot of it on the free, low and middle tax tiers for that year. Thing is, if I don't call today does it mean if the JR is unsuccessful, I then cannot challenge the amounts in the APN?
                    The SO and APNs are completely separate
                    Registering for the SO is non-binding. So do it.

If you think the calculations on your APN are incorrect, by all means challenge them within the 90 days when you can that.

If you are not in a position to verify or do calculations, get help.
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

You have to apply for CLSO today, so send email simply requesting a calculation, remember to send with a READ RECEIPT, so you will know they have read it. You don't have to accept whatever CLSO come back with.

Also AML should give you help on calculating the APN correctly, they have all the loan details etc.

Join Big Group too, its another string to the bow. You are not alone and the more that join Big Group then the louder our voice.
                      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Working...
                      X