• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

De Graaf/TwentyPlus/IOM DTA (Double Tax)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whilst I would echo a lot of the above and can, with the benefit of hindsight, point out that the advisers working for De Graaf were always unlikely to be able to give you unbiased advice that did not create a conflict for them, the game may not be quite over.

I suspect that you have had a follower notice and penalty for non payment?

There is not much we can do about that but we may be able to take another course.

No promises and it's a long shot and it will not be free, but it would apply to a fair number of people and by spreading the cost between them, might be worth a go. Happy to supply more information which can be taken to an adviser of your choice for an opinion.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

It is incredibly important that you do not risk any more penalties.

Many have tried to get a solution. All were charged. All were, in effect, a scam.

You are strongly advised not to throw any more money. It will just prolong the agony.

Almost no-one is prepared to risk penalties and the fees will be enormous.

The most important question is "how much skin do they have in the game?". If none, that should speak volumes. NTRT, which is now closed, did well, only because those involved were all affected.

Of course, you will take the advice you want to hear. No doubt I will be accused of mocking you. Feel free to totally disregard.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        Whilst I would echo a lot of the above and can, with the benefit of hindsight, point out that the advisers working for De Graaf were always unlikely to be able to give you unbiased advice that did not create a conflict for them, the game may not be quite over.

I suspect that you have had a follower notice and penalty for non payment?

There is not much we can do about that but we may be able to take another course.

No promises and it's a long shot and it will not be free, but it would apply to a fair number of people and by spreading the cost between them, might be worth a go. Happy to supply more information which can be taken to an adviser of your choice for an opinion.
        Would that involve risking further penalties?

Comment

Not necessarily.

The present situation is that HMRC has "won".

They are asking you for the full amount of tax they claim is due, plus interest and penalties. That amount is already due and payable and nothing we can do at this moment will change that.

We say that we have an idea that has some legs.

It may not work.

We will not be charging unless or until we have achieved a reduction in the above figure.

Enough "skin in the game"?

(No, me neither).

Comment

Interest will still be accruing. Penalties and surcharges can be increased. Or, at least, if you pay now there might be a reduction in the draconian penalties HMRC are implying.

Under the arrangement you say there is no risk(excepting what I said in the last paragraph). If you can stand the mental strain. Some can, so have nothing to lose. Personally I like to put these things behind me.

I hope your idea works.

Comment

The schemes struck down as a result of the loss of the Huitson case have mostly had Follower Notices.

Failure to deal with those leads to 50% penalties.

Most of those are now over in terms of time limits and any corrective action not taken has already resulted in a penalty. Nothing we can do about that.

If tax has not been paid, then yes, interest continues to accrue at 2.75% pa simple.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Reviving thread

Gents,
                This is an old thread so I’m assuming most of you de Graaf users were on the old WBT scheme?
                I used De graaf from 12 month onwards under a self employed loan arrangement.
                Anyone involved with this? I have 3 other contractors looking to take arrangement to tax advisor..
                Thanks for getting in touch

Comment

Working...
                X