• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Just who or what do the Loan Charge APPG group do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just who or what do the Loan Charge APPG group do?

I have followed for a long time the Loan Charge Appg group on Twitter and I am still non the wiser as to what actually their goal/ends are?

What I have assumed is they are trying to stop those caught up in the Loan Charge having to pay the loan charge.

I am not sure whether they are trying to get repayment from HMRC to all those who paid the tax on the DR

Or, they are just trying to get rid of the loan charge, but leave the tax payments on the DR.

I really have no idea they do seem to have an awful lot of MPs on board.

Anyone enlighten me?

Originally posted by GregRickshaw View Post
    I have followed for a long time the Loan Charge Appg group on Twitter and I am still non the wiser as to what actually their goal/ends are?

What I have assumed is they are trying to stop those caught up in the Loan Charge having to pay the loan charge.

I am not sure whether they are trying to get repayment from HMRC to all those who paid the tax on the DR

Or, they are just trying to get rid of the loan charge, but leave the tax payments on the DR.

I really have no idea they do seem to have an awful lot of MPs on board.

Anyone enlighten me?

APPGs are effectively discussion groups that focus on particular areas of interest and, as best they can, push for any changes they think would be beneficial. So effectively a Westminster pressure group. They have no power other then attempts to pressure and influence. There is no end goal as such, initially they did want to press for a fair resolution for Loan Charge victims, now it is has extended to more general attempts to highlight HMRCs shortcomings.

In more normal times I think they may have had more influence on the Treasury and HMRC but we have a bunch of ****s at all levels of HMT and HMRC so it's pretty much impossible to achieve much. Should be noted that an MP being a member of the APPG doesn't indicate support for what it says ( although the majority likely do ).

Comment

Working...
    X