• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Big Group and LCAG

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Group and LCAG

We're currently receiving a lot of questions about how the above groups interact.

I invite an LCAG representative to comment and/or add to the following, but the below is how Big Group sees the interaction between the groups.

Big Group is looking to find a resolution to the claims from HMRC that contractor loan schemes create a liability for those who used such arrangements.

As part of that process, we consider ALL aspects of the situation, tax, legal contractual obligations and future unwinding of the position, both through the ongoing enquiry process and the effects of the loan charge.

The resolution incorporates an analysis, where appropriate, of the effect, risks and consequences of the loan charge upon the ultimate goal.

Big Group members have regular updates and analysis supplied to them.

Our understanding of LCAG and its objectives, following several discussions with them and regular ongoing contact, is that the group is focused, among other things, upon the loan charge, its effects and how that charge might be used to facilitate a common sense solution to this whole debacle.

Given the intransigent attitude of HMRC at present, the initial actions of LCAG are likely to be legal challenges to the legality of the charge and its operation; building pressure on HMRC via the media to reconsider the charge, which is a vital and valuable exercise.

The media campaign builds upon and furthers work that Big Group has done for the last 3 years (which continues) and we have shared all of our materials and actions with those LCAG members who are also Big Group members, and we see this reflected some of the articles, briefings and interviews given by LCAG.

The ability of LCAG to say things publicly that Big Group cannot, is very useful and is rightly being exploited.

In a situation where senior HMRC officers are briefing MPs in a misleading and damaging way in order to defend the indefensible, frankly the gloves are off. However, Big Group advisers are constrained by professional standards and not all we want to say, can be said, in public.

In an ideal world, changes would be made to the loan charge to create a settlement we can all live with. Whilst even a less than ideal, but practical world, would do that, this is HMRC we are dealing with where the values of fairness, compassion and common sense have all been abandoned in favour of maximum tax revenue.

If LCAG succeed in their initial efforts, then the loan charge may disappear or be delayed - let's hope that happens.

That action will NOT however settle the tax HMRC claim is due.

If Big Group succeeds, the tax will be due but not (wholly) from individual contractors.

We therefore see the two groups as complementary. Big Group benefits from LCAG actions and vice versa.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

thanks for this !! very useful to understand and glad to hear there is tangents.

I would imagine HMRC like the divide and conquer route. No bully will like to beat up group

Comment

Following WTT’s post yesterday, we thought now the ideal opportunity to reaffirm LCAG’s position and our general objectives:

Who we are:
      The Loan Charge Action Group (LCAG) is a not-for-profit (NFP) organisation. We are
      wholly independent and run by bunch of dedicated individuals (all volunteers) whose sole aim is to fight for justice and represent / be the combined voice of the thousands of freelancers that add substantial value and revenue to the UK economy.

We were born because of the punitive charges introduced by HMRC’s retrospective tax legislation which is unjust and unfair. We seek to either have the Loan Charge removed or for it to be amended such that it is effective only from the point at which it gained Royal Assent, removing the retrospective nature of the legislation. We are doing this on behalf of ALL those affected, regardless of promoter or number of years involved.

What we do:
      LCAG has no affinity to any organisation, political party or other association and therefore we are able to speak out in ways that others are not able to. We have had articles published in national newspapers, have given interviews to journalists and the media, we have gained the backing of MPs including the introduction of the EDM together with preparing submissions to the Finance Committee.

WTT and LCAG:
      We remain fully aligned with the intentions of WTT in terms of their resolution strategy and have an open communication policy that allows us to seamlessly communicate with the effort from both sides.

There is no direct competition or conflict of interest here. Whilst we are wholly separate entities, the groups work completely in silo with regards their overall strategic objectives and tactical standpoints but work towards common aims.

WTT remains committed to delivering a resolution as per Graham’s message yesterday and LCAG is not seeking to alter or change the WTT resolution path.
      If you’ve had your head in the sand or simply seek an end to the years of unnecessary stress on you or your family life, we would encourage you to join us:

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info

Comment

Originally posted by LCAG View Post
        Following WTT’s post yesterday, we thought now the ideal opportunity to reaffirm LCAG’s position and our general objectives:

Who we are:
        The Loan Charge Action Group (LCAG) is a not-for-profit (NFP) organisation. We are
        wholly independent and run by bunch of dedicated individuals (all volunteers) whose sole aim is to fight for justice and represent / be the combined voice of the thousands of freelancers that add substantial value and revenue to the UK economy.

We were born because of the punitive charges introduced by HMRC’s retrospective tax legislation which is unjust and unfair. We seek to either have the Loan Charge removed or for it to be amended such that it is effective only from the point at which it gained Royal Assent, removing the retrospective nature of the legislation. We are doing this on behalf of ALL those affected, regardless of promoter or number of years involved.

What we do:
        LCAG has no affinity to any organisation, political party or other association and therefore we are able to speak out in ways that others are not able to. We have had articles published in national newspapers, have given interviews to journalists and the media, we have gained the backing of MPs including the introduction of the EDM together with preparing submissions to the Finance Committee.

WTT and LCAG:
        We remain fully aligned with the intentions of WTT in terms of their resolution strategy and have an open communication policy that allows us to seamlessly communicate with the effort from both sides.

There is no direct competition or conflict of interest here. Whilst we are wholly separate entities, the groups work completely in silo with regards their overall strategic objectives and tactical standpoints but work towards common aims.

WTT remains committed to delivering a resolution as per Graham’s message yesterday and LCAG is not seeking to alter or change the WTT resolution path.
        If you’ve had your head in the sand or simply seek an end to the years of unnecessary stress on you or your family life, we would encourage you to join us:

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info
        Just to add I joined Friday and became a full member just after. I would personally recommend joining to anyone caught by the loan charge. Last few days having read about the work they are doing and hearing about other people in similar situations has given me a lot more hope.

Last few days I have actually slept.

Sincere thanks to these people at LCAG !!

Comment

I joined LCAG very recently as a paid-up member.

I have been aiming to settle with HMRC over CLSO2 but they are a complete shambles and have no clue on what is going on. For God's sake, they send - what - an Excel spreadsheet knocked up by some school kid, after all these years of harping on about the LC and Settlement Opportunities. And they never respond to emails and calls, or the Settlements team don't even know what they're talking about - so how are we supposed to progress Settlement?

As time has gone on, it becomes more and more apparent and obvious how HMRC are flouting the law and pulling the wool over MPs' eyes. We need more senior MPs to wake up and see how they are being made to look like fools by HMRC. How can HMRC be allowed to go back 20 years and claim tax from closed years beyond any normal tax enquiry window.

So regardless of whether I settle or not (it's a big £ for me), I want LCAG to fight on for everyone else because IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. It really is as simple as that. Do the right thing.

Comment

please help

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            We're currently receiving a lot of questions about how the above groups interact.

I invite an LCAG representative to comment and/or add to the following, but the below is how Big Group sees the interaction between the groups.

Big Group is looking to find a resolution to the claims from HMRC that contractor loan schemes create a liability for those who used such arrangements.

As part of that process, we consider ALL aspects of the situation, tax, legal contractual obligations and future unwinding of the position, both through the ongoing enquiry process and the effects of the loan charge.

The resolution incorporates an analysis, where appropriate, of the effect, risks and consequences of the loan charge upon the ultimate goal.

Big Group members have regular updates and analysis supplied to them.

Our understanding of LCAG and its objectives, following several discussions with them and regular ongoing contact, is that the group is focused, among other things, upon the loan charge, its effects and how that charge might be used to facilitate a common sense solution to this whole debacle.

Given the intransigent attitude of HMRC at present, the initial actions of LCAG are likely to be legal challenges to the legality of the charge and its operation; building pressure on HMRC via the media to reconsider the charge, which is a vital and valuable exercise.

The media campaign builds upon and furthers work that Big Group has done for the last 3 years (which continues) and we have shared all of our materials and actions with those LCAG members who are also Big Group members, and we see this reflected some of the articles, briefings and interviews given by LCAG.

The ability of LCAG to say things publicly that Big Group cannot, is very useful and is rightly being exploited.

In a situation where senior HMRC officers are briefing MPs in a misleading and damaging way in order to defend the indefensible, frankly the gloves are off. However, Big Group advisers are constrained by professional standards and not all we want to say, can be said, in public.

In an ideal world, changes would be made to the loan charge to create a settlement we can all live with. Whilst even a less than ideal, but practical world, would do that, this is HMRC we are dealing with where the values of fairness, compassion and common sense have all been abandoned in favour of maximum tax revenue.

If LCAG succeed in their initial efforts, then the loan charge may disappear or be delayed - let's hope that happens.

That action will NOT however settle the tax HMRC claim is due.

If Big Group succeeds, the tax will be due but not (wholly) from individual contractors.

We therefore see the two groups as complementary. Big Group benefits from LCAG actions and vice versa.
            I was a contractor with AML and also Norris. I have no idea what to do. Please can you advise? thanks so much

Comment

Originally posted by person View Post
              I was a contractor with AML and also Norris. I have no idea what to do. Please can you advise? thanks so much
              google "Loan Charge Action Group" - https://forum.hmrcloancharge.info/

and then if you can join them. They are not the answer to everything but there is a lot of information and people that can assist and provide help

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                I joined LCAG very recently as a paid-up member.

I have been aiming to settle with HMRC over CLSO2 but they are a complete shambles and have no clue on what is going on. For God's sake, they send - what - an Excel spreadsheet knocked up by some school kid, after all these years of harping on about the LC and Settlement Opportunities. And they never respond to emails and calls, or the Settlements team don't even know what they're talking about - so how are we supposed to progress Settlement?

As time has gone on, it becomes more and more apparent and obvious how HMRC are flouting the law and pulling the wool over MPs' eyes. We need more senior MPs to wake up and see how they are being made to look like fools by HMRC. How can HMRC be allowed to go back 20 years and claim tax from closed years beyond any normal tax enquiry window.

So regardless of whether I settle or not (it's a big £ for me), I want LCAG to fight on for everyone else because IT IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. It really is as simple as that. Do the right thing.
                Its a bloody shambles mate... since BBC breakfast mentioned this the other day the amount of people coming out of the woodwork is unreal. And only now do they realise whats about to hit them. The number given never gets picked up or is dropped (when Liar Mel responds to any request for a helpline he just says 'ring hmrc who will assist'). They are pursuing something they legally have no right to pursue (in my opinion.. and others).. yet in their defiance you would expect some sort of organisation and cohesion from this department whereas in fact the left hand has no idea what the right is doing. There are far too many words in the English language that describe what this situation actually is

Comment

Hi, you may not receive actual advice on this site (as all options are a personal decision), but if you want to keep all options open, you need to provide HMRC with all loan details, etc by the end of this month. This does NOT obligate you to settle, but just keeps that as an option for you.

So not long to decide. Spend some time reading all posts to this site and LCAG.

Comment

JOIN LCAG.

You will be amongst many others in similar situation and it is a great help in dealing with this disgusting legislation that seeks to tear people to shreds emotionally.

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/

then go to join instructions a t bottom of page.
                    http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

Working...
                    X