• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement Companies - 2019 Loan Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settlement Companies - 2019 Loan Charge

Can anyone share experiences, good or bad with any settlement companies? Happy to do this offline.
    I have been referred to PTS by AML.
    So far I see they collect a fee simply for collating all the loan information and providing that to HMRC, and then charge again for any challenge to HMRC tax bill.
    Is this the norm?

Originally posted by DELLboy View Post
    Can anyone share experiences, good or bad with any settlement companies? Happy to do this offline.
    I have been referred to PTS by AML.
    So far I see they collect a fee simply for collating all the loan information and providing that to HMRC, and then charge again for any challenge to HMRC tax bill.
    Is this the norm?
    Can I ask how they (PTS) are actually getting the information over to HMRC and why any individual would consider doing this now or is this the process for CLSO2? Is there a process that doesn't involve a Self Assessment? Just seeking some background information on the why, how, etc. as there's many that have long left the UK permanently and no longer complete UK returns / Self Assessments.

Comment

It’s the norm for the kind of people that PTS are.
      They are an IoM based company, with and address that is the side door to Knox House - the HQ for AML and their associated companies.
      They will charge you as much as they can, not to provide some great service, but to make money from you.

My advice would be to avoid any IoM based business in trying to get the mess sorted out.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

PTS is owned by Perree Limited a BVI company. IIRC someone on the AML thread had onwardly traced the ownership of Perree to Malta. Who the real owner is - is anyone's guess.

The IOM and the UK have a tax information agreement too. If HMRC want data from PTS they can get it. They've clearly been active with MP as this case in the IOM Courts shows https://www.judgments.im/content/J1800.htm

Comment

Avoid PTS. It will only make things worse.

Phil@DWS is highly recommended.

Comment

Originally posted by piebaps View Post
            PTS is owned by Perree Limited a BVI company. IIRC someone on the AML thread had onwardly traced the ownership of Perree to Malta. Who the real owner is - is anyone's guess.
            Nope, not a guess at all.
            Names like Timothy Blackburn and Timothy Eve keep popping up (with links to Baroness Mone and our old friend Douglas Barrowman)

Does "PTS" stand for Pathfinder Tax Services?
            https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08534468

Comment

Originally posted by GreenMirror View Post
              Avoid PTS. It will only make things worse.

Phil@DWS is highly recommended.
              Can you expand on @DWS ?

Comment

Originally posted by bandemelbs View Post
                Can I ask how they (PTS) are actually getting the information over to HMRC and why any individual would consider doing this now or is this the process for CLSO2? Is there a process that doesn't involve a Self Assessment? Just seeking some background information on the why, how, etc. as there's many that have long left the UK permanently and no longer complete UK returns / Self Assessments.
                PTS say are "collating" all the data on behalf of contractors and submitted to HMRC using the template from HMRC. They say they will send them all in at the end of Sept. They charge to collect date for each year in a scheme, and extra for each scheme. They do not add "value" until there are numbers back from HMRC, and then they want 20% of any savings. Having spoken to other advisers, they recommend submitting the paperwork yourself and then using a Tax adviser once there is something to discuss.

PTS say they have no experience of any settlements as they have not submitted any yet. That does not give me any confidence. Other firms have at least been there and done it!

I'm gathering what information I can to decide. Any other thoughts most welcome.

Recoemmend signing the petition against the Loan Charge:
                https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/218582

and encouraging your MP to sign up to the Early Day Motion (EDM)
                https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239

Comment

Originally posted by DELLboy View Post
                  Can you expand on @DWS ?
                  There’s a user on here called Phil@DWSTRES.
                  He, along with Webberg are two worth contacting

Comment

If you want settlement on HMRC terms, Phil has a lot of experience.

We do settlement but our preference is resolution via an analysis we deliver via Big Group.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Working...
                    X