• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scheme enquiries and GDPR

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scheme enquiries and GDPR

This is probably just a bit of fun at the expense of the HMRC, but have those of you at the wrong end of enquiries thought about bombarding HMRC with demands for various rights under GDPR. I doubt you will get away with the right to be forgotten, but there may be all kinds of data you can demand to be corrected or deleted. Would keep them busy.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    This is probably just a bit of fun at the expense of the HMRC, but have those of you at the wrong end of enquiries thought about bombarding HMRC with demands for various rights under GDPR. I doubt you will get away with the right to be forgotten, but there may be all kinds of data you can demand to be corrected or deleted. Would keep them busy.
    It would certainly be interesting to see what they come back with.

A Subject Access Request is Free after the 25th and they have 30 days to respond. You can then check what they hold and point out any corrections and request they be put right. Again they 30 days to do this.

However, if the HMRC website lets you check all the personal data they hold on you they they will just point you to that as it allows you to check and correct details at any time.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Excellent idea!

A while ago I raised a SAR(Subject Access Request - not Self Assessment Return) with HMRC via their web site. It was ignored and there was no way of escalating. It has now gone to the ICO.

I did find how to get my data details another way.

I know a GDPR expert and we are both going to request details from HMRC next week. I will post back with what I did.

I am told(by the expert) that HMRC have fewer loopholes after tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
        It would certainly be interesting to see what they come back with.

A Subject Access Request is Free after the 25th and they have 30 days to respond. You can then check what they hold and point out any corrections and request they be put right. Again they 30 days to do this.

However, if the HMRC website lets you check all the personal data they hold on you they they will just point you to that as it allows you to check and correct details at any time.
        It may have data. But I would want to see letters, emails about me, case notes. You guys should deluge them.

Comment

Something like this might be useful.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/night...r-karbaliotis/

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

That will do.

Comment

but what about data they hold on our Ltd co's ?

most of the correspondence they send is to my ltd and not me, so can we request all that too?

Comment

Originally posted by basilspinone View Post

most of the correspondence they send is to my ltd and not me, so can we request all that too?
                No, as GDPR only applies to Natural Persons, not Legal Persons.

You can only ask them for personal information that directly relates to you. That might include Your Co. as your employer but thats all.

Edit : Unless its addressed to you by name as well as the company address.
                Last edited by DaveB; 25 May 2018, 10:18.
                "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

To get going on this: -

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/shortforms/form/DPU_SAR

Input your details including NA number and UTR(10 digits)

Comment

Originally posted by basilspinone View Post

1. Do they address it to you as Director?
                    2. I would think that HMRC scheme enquiries are into the individual, not the Ltd.

Comment

Working...
                    X