• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Write/email your MP asking them to support EDM 1239

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Write/email your MP asking them to support EDM 1239

Here is the EDM:
    https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239

With many tens of thousands of people, across the whole country, caught up in LC19, this has more chance than most of gaining some traction.

You can email your MP here:
    https://www.writetothem.com
    Yes
    76.19%
    No
    23.81%

21 MPs have now signed the EDM.

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
      21 MPs have now signed the EDM.
      28 now signed this morning. No help is coming from elsewhere - Come on lurkers get going and start phoning/writing your MP!

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post
        28 now signed this morning. No help is coming from elsewhere - Come on lurkers get going and start phoning/writing your MP!
        WHS

Even if you think it's a waste of time, it only takes a couple of minutes to email your MP.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear MP,

<bit about the effect on your family>

I know people who received loans in the early 2000s who now face a totally unexpected charge for something that happened almost 20 years ago. To backdate a tax charge 20 years is draconian in the extreme.

It was HMRC who proposed the loan charge to the Government but I am not sure they truly comprehend the damage this will inflict on tens of thousands of ordinary people.

Hopefully the EDM will draw attention to what is a terrible situation in the making.

Yours sincerely,

Comment

LR

You (or someone here) had a longer template email/letter that looked good but I can't find it now.

Any idea where it is?

EDIT: think it was this from Vincent - https://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc...ml#post2554300

Comment

EDM

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
            WHS

Even if you think it's a waste of time, it only takes a couple of minutes to email your MP.

----------------------------------------------------------

Dear MP,

<bit about the effect on your family>

I know people who received loans in the early 2000s who now face a totally unexpected charge for something that happened almost 20 years ago. To backdate a tax charge 20 years is draconian in the extreme.

It was HMRC who proposed the loan charge to the Government but I am not sure they truly comprehend the damage this will inflict on tens of thousands of ordinary people.

Hopefully the EDM will draw attention to what is a terrible situation in the making.

Yours sincerely,
            Thanks to everyone who is taking the time to contact their MP about this. It might not amount to anything in the end but you won't know if you don't give it a crack. I would love to contribute but having left the UK in 2009 my current MP would be of absolutely no help. I salute all the people doing the work and making noise on Twitter and elsewhere.

Comment

My template, a merger of others:

-----------------------
              Dear Mr or Mrs MP,

We are a family of 5 Conservative voters. We have voted for you every time since having moved to your constituency xx years ago. I am now contacting you personally for the first time.

I am writing to request support for Early Day Motion 1239 at https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239. This EDM expresses grave concerns at HMRC's 2019 Loan Charge and retrospective action applying back to 1999. In many professional accountants' opinions, the loan charge should apply only to disguised remuneration loans entered into after the Finance Act 2017 received Royal Assent.

The Loan Charge has been discussed in various publications:-

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...overnment-must
              https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/t...ands-s3ghxr0q7
              https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...down-t3t8j85cx

I am just one of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people caught up in this massive miss-selling scandal, led into the arrangement by a scheme provider that promised tax compliance and QC approval. I now face retrospective taxation for an action I took xx years ago, where I had already submitted tax returns and where HMRC did not query anything.

HMRC are pursuing people who acted in good faith on the advice of professionals, rather than the client organisations, agencies, umbrella companies, scheme providers and accountants, all of whom benefitted greatly and many of which have significant assets.

It was HMRC who proposed the loan charge to the Government but I am not sure they truly comprehend the damage this will inflict on tens of thousands of ordinary people. I am, however, encouraged that there is an EDM that is gathering momentum with cross party support. There are MPs who understand that 20-year retrospective law changes are draconian.

For obvious reasons, I would like my name to be kept confidential.

Yours sincerely,
              xxxxxxx

Comment

The 47 characters that spell ruin for thousands are found here.

Schedule 17; paragraph 4;(1)(b)

"the loan was made on or after 6 April 1999, and"

Well done to the simple minded bureaucrats who ignored industry experts on the retroactive nature of this legislation. You get your bonus by mindlessly 'following orders'. Meanwhile 40 thousand plus face ruin - Sickening state of affairs...

Comment

Originally posted by foobar View Post
                  The 47 characters that spell ruin for thousands are found here.

Schedule 17; paragraph 4;(1)(b)

"the loan was made on or after 6 April 1999, and"

Well done to the simple minded bureaucrats who ignored industry experts on the retroactive nature of this legislation. You get your bonus by mindlessly 'following orders'. Meanwhile 40 thousand plus face ruin - Sickening state of affairs...
                  I do wonder why it took HMRC 18 years to close the loophole.

Comment

Hello,

I have emailed my MP but he has not signed the EDM as of yet. I will give it a bit before I apply additional tactics.

Comment

Working...
                    X