• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AML 2019 Loan Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared and angry...

I'm still in shock... the realisation that I have ten years worth of loans to account for has pushed me over the edge.

I'm not sleeping, I'm not able to smile anymore, I'm having awful thoughts and I'm so angry that I believed the AML spiel.

I asked AML so many questions, received so many assurances and, naively I thought I was safe.

Despite receiving enquiry letters, I still believed the AML response of not to worry; that HMRC do not have a legal standing on this issue.

My intense shock when the emails came made me just want to curl up and die. What on earth have I done to my family? How on earth will we cope?

I can't tell you how much this forum has helped in educating me, putting me in touch with people that can help and assure me that I'm not alone. Assure me that I'm still better off being alive...

Thank you all for sharing.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

I believe there are only 3 options now that I've registered my interest with HMRC:
    1, Settle with CLSO2 before the loan charge kicks in
    2, Let the loan charge hit
    3, Join the Big Group

Whatever the outcome, I'll have to try to negotiate some sort of TTP arrangement that's long enough to ensure we still have a roof over our heads, food on the table and some semblance of a decent life.

I just hope I'm not being naive in hoping for a decent amount of time to pay...

Comment

Hang in there. Its tough times but you will survive. Remember there are always others for you to talk to if you need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunflowers View Post
        I'm still in shock... the realisation that I have ten years worth of loans to account for has pushed me over the edge.

I'm not sleeping, I'm not able to smile anymore, I'm having awful thoughts and I'm so angry that I believed the AML spiel.

I asked AML so many questions, received so many assurances and, naively I thought I was safe.

Despite receiving enquiry letters, I still believed the AML response of not to worry; that HMRC do not have a legal standing on this issue.

My intense shock when the emails came made me just want to curl up and die. What on earth have I done to my family? How on earth will we cope?

I can't tell you how much this forum has helped in educating me, putting me in touch with people that can help and assure me that I'm not alone. Assure me that I'm still better off being alive...

Thank you all for sharing.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do.

I believe there are only 3 options now that I've registered my interest with HMRC:
        1, Settle with CLSO2 before the loan charge kicks in
        2, Let the loan charge hit
        3, Join the Big Group

Whatever the outcome, I'll have to try to negotiate some sort of TTP arrangement that's long enough to ensure we still have a roof over our heads, food on the table and some semblance of a decent life.

I just hope I'm not being naive in hoping for a decent amount of time to pay...
        Get active see your MP, get on twitter, get vocal on this...

Join LCAG or Big Group...plenty of help and advice, you are not alone...

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/
        http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

had a nice brown envelope from HMRC again at the weekend kindly informing of the loan charge and its consquences.

They have been told only to make contact via email so thats a phone call recently and via post. Having been in touch with them about settling for a while now and informing them of the mental illness that im suffering because of this they still dont get it and do the complete opposite.

I really am getting sick of their inability to comprehend the stress they are putting on people and the effects of such.
          Last edited by ric_77; 11 June 2018, 13:43.

Comment

Originally posted by ric_77 View Post
            had a nice brown envelope from HMRC again at the weekend kindly informing of the loan charge and its consquences.

They have been told only to make contact via email so thats a phone call recently and via post. Having been in touch with them about settling for a while now and informing them of the mental illness that im suffering because of this they still dont get it and do the complete opposite.

I really am getting sick of their inability to comprehend the stress they are putting on people and the effects of such.
            Im currently on anti-depressants now and have started suffering from chronic migraines. I ended up splitting with my partner due to my behaviour/mood swings as I couldnt face telling her about what the future might bring, or may not bring. I'm coping, but only just. There are times I want to walk away from my job (no longer a contractor), this country, and my life in general.
            I can ony find support in this group, and with a few friends. Support, help and understanding arent words I think HMRC are familiar with.

Comment

Originally posted by esemi View Post
              Hang in there. Its tough times but you will survive. Remember there are always others for you to talk to if you need to.
              Thank you... I'm trying to bear that in mind

Appreciate your kind words.

Comment

Originally posted by LandRover View Post
                Get active see your MP, get on twitter, get vocal on this...

Join LCAG or Big Group...plenty of help and advice, you are not alone...

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/
                Thanks LandRover.

I've signed the petition, emailed my MP and am reviewing the website in your post.

I'm just mentally exhausted and, due to lack of sleep/nourishment, my health is also suffering.

I just need to keep on moving forward and taking action no matter how hard and futile it feels.

This forum is a godsend. Thank you.

Comment

To Kentishlad and Sunflowers.. I am sorry that you have had so much pain from this. To you guys and anyone else feeling the physical, mental, emotional, & economic pain...

If you have not already, check out Loan Charge Action Group for support. You can't have too many support networks in a time like this.

And if you haven't already seen the post about the evening standard on this forum...

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/...-a3861916.html

Comment

Originally posted by MayMadness View Post
                    To Kentishlad and Sunflowers.. I am sorry that you have had so much pain from this. To you guys and anyone else feeling the physical, mental, emotional, & economic pain...

If you have not already, check out Loan Charge Action Group for support. You can't have too many support networks in a time like this.

And if you haven't already seen the post about the evening standard on this forum...

Many many thanks. Ive reposted this on Facebook and have joined the LCAG. I registered an interest a few days before the original cut off time and so far havent heard anything (probably because I dont have a fixed address at the moment and my mail is most likely going to my ex partners home). Im sort of wishing I hadnt registered after reading further posts on here.
                    I have to say I dont have half the amount of bother some people are having especially with these six figure sums being banded about... needless to say the figure isnt what its all about as to be fair I never really benefited in the ways some may have done prior to being landed with this charge. I just keep feeling like we are all being made out to be the scum of the earth as if weve all profited to the tune of fancy houses, fancy cars etc. I worked to live. As have many others. I honestly feel for a lot of people it will be living to work... and can understand why people are looking at the terrible option of suicide as a means to escape this situation

Comment

AML 2019 Loan Charge

Originally posted by MayMadness View Post

Thanks for this.

It's quite a good article with some interesting points.

I find it strange they mentioned the "origins" of the issue are from IR35 and (some) clients pressurising contractors into these schemes.

Did clients do this?
                      Last edited by MrButton; 13 June 2018, 17:27.

Comment

Working...
                      X