• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AML 2019 Loan Charge

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax Advisor

Hi,

How do I contact Phil@dws, I have no options available?

Thank you

Comment

HMRC are in a bit of a mess.

I settled with them on 26th April for my 18 months, paid in full.
      I got no receipt of the 33k I sent them and today 1 month later I got the 2019 LC letter and oh, 13 days to reply.

Called them up, yes I had paid and yes they did receive the money, but they don't send out any confirmations and the 2019 LC charge is an automated letter and they apparently can't control it.
      Stupid thing is this was sent a nearly a month after settlement.

grrrrrr, at least it is all clear now and had it confirmed.

And why the ^&%$ can't they print the UTR number alongside your NI number on EVERY single letter and not just "some" random letters. It seems it is a hidden code they don't want you to know, but insist you supply.
      Out of all the correspondence I have with HMRC, my UTR appears on 1 out of 20 letters and that was a self assessment letter, nothing to do with my cases.
      Last edited by catanonia; 21 May 2018, 09:07.

Comment

stressed newbie!

Thanks all, specially WTT and Phil for their valuable advice. I must admit this forum has been very valuable for me in making a decision to inform HMRC.

I received emails via AML and Knox couple of weeks ago and took it lightly, was bit naive as AML appealed for me for 2 years and the recovery was suspended but now after reading this thread I am really taking it seriously to contact HMRC.

Will share my experiences as I hear from them, also will be speaking to WTT and Phil for an independent advice.

Thanks Catanonia for your experience and many others. Very vey helpful.

Thanks

Really stressed out!!!!!

Comment

Does anybody know if the settlement you pay is declared on your self assessment p11d?
          Can you actually have a negative income?

Comment

Originally posted by Pipjb View Post
            Hi,

Thank you
            I have request PM rights for you from Admin.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Pipjb View Post
              Hi,

Thank you
              ------------------------

I found this on internet while searching for Phil, hope this helps!

Dow Schofield Watts Tax Resolution
              Phone: 01928 378 024
              Mobile: 07986 984 089
              Email: [email protected]
              7400 Daresbury Park, Daresbury, Warrington, WA4 4BS

Comment

Dear all,

1) Contact your local mp email or phone.
                2) Give them this link.
                3) have them sign it if they see merit.

https://www.parliament.uk/edm/2017-19/1239

It's a tiny glimmer of hope. But I see and read alot of people worried to death yet not taking any action. Pull your socks up and snap out of the gloom. This is something VERY simple everyone can do.

Don't give up without a fight. Worst case for many is bankruptcy. It's not worth contemplating suicide over. Family is much more important and there is a life worth living. The love of a man woman or child is worth more than any money.

Comment

Originally posted by JackH1 View Post
                  Has anyone sought legal advice to bring a judicial review to court to get this legislation halted or amended to 2017 onwards? Litigants can do this.

I too have written to my local mp to rouse support and would suggest people to keep doing it and sign the online petition in regards to the legislation. There is only around 500 signatures but it needs 100,000 to get a debate in parliament.

That is the end result, I've got fresh doubts about voting for Tory in the next election and will look to make this clear. Like many others I don't have the huge sums that will be owed and it's painful stress night and day.

Also, we need to start a campaign to get media coverage guys and take action on this. ?

I've actually spent time with a QC in the past week to discuss and basically, there is a potential challenge to the LC 2019 based on it being contrary to European Human Rights, however, there is apparently some debate over whether or not it is completely retrospective. If it were, then the challenge would likely succeed, but they are focusing the legislation on a specific area - filling in a technical gap where parliament has previously indicated they were going to act to stop or defeat a particular arrangement (unbeknownst to some of us...) - meaning that there is a chance it would be unlikely to be regarded as "abusive of human rights" by the European Court.

Unfortunately, I feel like this leaves me with no option but to register for settlement - but I'm still hoping to fight and still praying that there is an overturn on the decision. Surely someone, with even half a brain and a shred of human decency realises the gravity of changing a law with retrospective effect.

Some days I feel totally at a loss, and other days I think, no way is this going to happen - but whether I feel hopeful or despairing, I still keep coming back to how utterly and unbelievably f**ked (sorry, but there is no other way to say it!) this whole situation is!!!! it feels like a really, really bad joke or nightmare.

I'm drafting an email to my MP as we speak (although he is a Tory) - despite the fact that every time I "put myself out there" in relation to the matter, I feel more heartburn as I don't want more attention!! I kinda feel like given my position, that's only me being slightly paranoid and what have I got to lose? so I'll do it - send the letter to the MP, i've signed the petition - and I'll keep hoping and praying and thinking that at the end of the day, everything will surely be alright one way or another...

Comment

Despite being a loan victim(if victim is the right word. I feel it was a very bad mistake. I just don't think I should shoulder all the blame), I don't believe it is retrospective as it covers the amount of loan outstanding. Though it is amazing it took HMRC 18 years to close the loophole.

Remember that DTA(Montpelier-Huitson) went to ECHR and got thrown out. Retrospection is legal in the UK.

Not that HMRC needed retrospection to defeat DTA anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by catanonia View Post
                      HMRC are in a bit of a mess.

I settled with them on 26th April for my 18 months, paid in full.
                      I got no receipt of the 33k I sent them and today 1 month later I got the 2019 LC letter and oh, 13 days to reply.

Called them up, yes I had paid and yes they did receive the money, but they don't send out any confirmations and the 2019 LC charge is an automated letter and they apparently can't control it.
                      Stupid thing is this was sent a nearly a month after settlement.

grrrrrr, at least it is all clear now and had it confirmed.

And why the ^&%$ can't they print the UTR number alongside your NI number on EVERY single letter and not just "some" random letters. It seems it is a hidden code they don't want you to know, but insist you supply.
                      Out of all the correspondence I have with HMRC, my UTR appears on 1 out of 20 letters and that was a self assessment letter, nothing to do with my cases.
                      Could you please advise whether HMRC charged you interest and their calculations were fair reflection of tax and NI due to be paid? Were their calculations close to yours estimates and did you reach any settlement terms with HMRC?

Comment

Working...
                      X