• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invitation to be involved in independant research for HMRC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invitation to be involved in independant research for HMRC

Hi Guys, first post, I have quite a few different tax years currently under appeal.

I received a letter yesterday from the Counter Avoidance Policy Development Dept, asking if I am willing to take part in some research by a compnay called IFF research to help HMRC understand the reason people use contractor avoidance schemes. It goes on to say I don't have to take part and if I do, no information will be shared with HMRC.
    Has anybody else had this letter, and if so should we opt out or do it?

Thanks

Opinion

Originally posted by keeno65 View Post
    Hi Guys, first post, have quite a different tax years currently under appeal.

I received a letter yesterday from the Counter Avoidance Policy Development Dept, asking if I am willing to take part in some research by a compnay called IFF research to help HMRC understand the reason people use contractor avoidance schemes. It goes on to say I don't have to take part and if I do, no information will be shared with HMRC.
    Has anybody else had this letter, and if so should we opt out or do it?

Thanks
    Hi Keeno65,

Lots of these have been received. Some people will take part, others will opt out and ultimately the choice is yours. If you want to put your side of the story across then go for it.

MLeggsy

Comment

Making you opt out from them passing your personal information to a third party, bless them

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...hold-about-you

Ignore the letter, if the third party contacts you then complain to the information commissioner.

Comment

Originally posted by keeno65 View Post
        to help HMRC understand the reason people use contractor avoidance schemes.
        What, after nearly 20 years, they still don't know?

Comment

Simple response will suffice:

'IR35'
          STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Anyone answering this without having settled their affairs first is mental, consider it entrapment and assume it will be used against you.

Can just see it now, arriving at tribunal to see HMRC clutching a bunch of surveys where people have told them why they switched to a tax avoidance scheme

Comment

Ermm - I would be concerned from whom "IFF Research" (whoever they are) got your personal details?

Once they answer you, File 13.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Ermm - I would be concerned from whom "IFF Research" (whoever they are) got your personal details?

Once they answer you, File 13.

I.F.F RESEARCH LIMITED - Company number 00849983

Formed in 1965

HMRC have passed the details on - It's a letter from HMRC.

MLeggsy

Comment

Which as stated above is against the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
                    Which as stated above is against the law.
                    Can you expand on why ?
                    Can I post the letter on here so you can see the full context of it ?

Comment

Working...
                    X