• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Invitation to be involved in independant research for HMRC"

Collapse

• dvmwj
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    I’d imagine that they are firing off these letters before GDPR comes into effect in May.
    How would they cope with a gazillion subject access requests?!!

Leave a comment:

• dvmwj
    replied
    Does not opting out constitute consent to pass on your contact details by default?

Surely their stance should be "if you want to take part in the survey, contact us..."

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    I’d imagine that they are firing off these letters before GDPR comes into effect in May.

Leave a comment:

• Servia
    replied
    DP Act violation

I also received the letter asking if I'd like to participate which so far I have ignored. However last week I got a call from the research company so HMRC have obviously passed across all our details without permission.

If this isn't a flagrant breach of the data protection act I don't know what is (also the taxpayers charter)

Given the high profile this type of thing has in the news of late I think i might well reply to their original letter !!

Leave a comment:

• Dylan
    replied
    Originally posted by keeno65 View Post
    Can you expand on why ?
    Can I post the letter on here so you can see the full context of it ?
    I've seen the letter.

See their own data protection statement... Asking you to opt out of them giving your personal details to a 3rd party ffs.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by MLeggsy View Post
    I.F.F RESEARCH LIMITED - Company number 00849983

Formed in 1965

HMRC have passed the details on - It's a letter from HMRC.

MLeggsy
    File 13 is the answer? Why would you have anything to do with IFF Research? HMRC must be paying them handsomely to achieve the sum total of F-A.L.L.

Leave a comment:

• keeno65
    replied
    Originally posted by Dylan View Post
    Which as stated above is against the law.
    Can you expand on why ?
    Can I post the letter on here so you can see the full context of it ?

Leave a comment:

• Dylan
    replied
    Which as stated above is against the law.

Leave a comment:

• MLeggsy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scruff View Post
    Ermm - I would be concerned from whom "IFF Research" (whoever they are) got your personal details?

Once they answer you, File 13.

I.F.F RESEARCH LIMITED - Company number 00849983

Formed in 1965

HMRC have passed the details on - It's a letter from HMRC.

MLeggsy

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Ermm - I would be concerned from whom "IFF Research" (whoever they are) got your personal details?

Once they answer you, File 13.

Leave a comment:

• Dylan
    replied
    Anyone answering this without having settled their affairs first is mental, consider it entrapment and assume it will be used against you.

Can just see it now, arriving at tribunal to see HMRC clutching a bunch of surveys where people have told them why they switched to a tax avoidance scheme

Leave a comment:

• regron
    replied
    Simple response will suffice:

'IR35'

Leave a comment:

• Loan Ranger
    replied
    to help HMRC understand the reason people use contractor avoidance schemes.
    What, after nearly 20 years, they still don't know?

Leave a comment:

• Dylan
    replied
    Making you opt out from them passing your personal information to a third party, bless them

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...hold-about-you

Ignore the letter, if the third party contacts you then complain to the information commissioner.

Leave a comment:

• MLeggsy
    replied
    Opinion

Hi Guys, first post, have quite a different tax years currently under appeal.

I received a letter yesterday from the Counter Avoidance Policy Development Dept, asking if I am willing to take part in some research by a compnay called IFF research to help HMRC understand the reason people use contractor avoidance schemes. It goes on to say I don't have to take part and if I do, no information will be shared with HMRC.
    Has anybody else had this letter, and if so should we opt out or do it?

Thanks
    Hi Keeno65,

Lots of these have been received. Some people will take part, others will opt out and ultimately the choice is yours. If you want to put your side of the story across then go for it.

MLeggsy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X