• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Clso2 - anyone??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by burnside View Post
    I registered my interest in CLS02 2 weeks ago when responding by email to a request for loan statements, (frustratingly one that I had previously send them!), I asked them for a figure for CLS02 and for the LC19. Not heard anything, didn't even get confirmation of my email. So I will write to them as well to make sure that they have received my request.
    They probably won't be able to give you a tax figure for LC19 because it depends on what other income you have in 2018/19, whether you contribute to a pension etc.

Comment

I plan on sending a letter recorded delivery and an email as proof of sending and receipt. Wouldn’t want to take a risk

Comment

Originally posted by Loan Ranger View Post
        They probably won't be able to give you a tax figure for LC19 because it depends on what other income you have in 2018/19, whether you contribute to a pension etc.
        True, but I asked for an indicative figure based on the loans that I have received and they know about, but I should be able to calculate that myself based on a 40/45% split. The CLSO figure is the more difficult one for me mainly due to the late payment interest they will be charging.

Comment

Originally posted by burnside View Post
          The CLSO figure is the more difficult one for me mainly due to the late payment interest they will be charging.
          There is a late payment interest calculator somewhere on HMRC's website, but the figures below are very close.

This is the accrued interest as of end of Feb 2018. Interest is currently accruing at 3% flat (non compound) per annum eg. if you were to settle in 6 months time just add another 1.5%.

Tax Year ___ Interest
          2001/2 _____ 72.1%
          2002/3 _____ 65.6%
          2003/4 _____ 59.4%
          2004/5 _____ 52.0%
          2005/6 _____ 45.4%
          2006/7 _____ 38.0%
          2007/8 _____ 30.1%
          2008/9 _____ 25.2%
          2009/10 ____ 21.2%
          2010/11 ____ 18.2%
          2011/12 ____ 15.2%
          2012/13 ____ 12.2%
          2013/14 ____ 9.2%

Example

Suppose your additional tax liability for 2008/9 is £10,000.

The interest would be £10,000 * 25.2% = £2,520
          Last edited by Loan Ranger; 25 February 2018, 09:54.

Comment

What about for 14/15 and 15/16, do they have those rates as well? Although I'm going have a stab at 6.2% and 3.2%
            Last edited by burnside; 25 February 2018, 23:51.

Comment

How do you know if IHT is applicable under CLSO2?

If the loan is closed off or repaid - is it just a case of HMRC assuming IHT applies, and charging you regardless?

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

If the loan is closed off or repaid - is it just a case of HMRC assuming IHT applies, and charging you regardless?

see "made atlas shrug" post on other forums. He went through CLSO and was nearly charged second IHT.

Comment

Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post
                  see "made atlas shrug" post on other forums. He went through CLSO and was nearly charged second IHT.
                  I believe his situation was that HMRC gave him a settlement figure and said "that's it, no more tax is due for you for these loans" and he agree and paid it. HMRC's IHT dept. then came along and said "oh yes, we see you closed off these loans, so you now owe us IHT".

The settlement figure didn't include IHT but given HMRC's wording on the agreement, they had promised that the settlement amount was final in terms of tax due.

So he fought back against HMRC's IHT dept and eventually they had to back down.

My questions still stand:

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

My questions still stand:

Probably worth asking in an advisor thread. My understanding is it applies to trust based loans only.

Comment

Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post
                      My understanding is it applies to trust based loans only.
                      Correct

Comment

Working...
                      X