• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Montpelier DTA scheme bulletin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wardster1972 View Post
    I begrudgingly settled for the DTA years of 2007 & 2008 and like a lot of people here I had the follower notice and had just had enough of the whole sorry mess and wanted it out of the way.

I paid the amended tax plus all the interest and NI stupidly thinking the matter was closed, but now the tossers have sent me a 'Notice of surcharge for late payment of tax for the tax year ended 5 April 2008.'!!!!!!! Two 5% surcharges. 1 for 28 days late and the other for being over 6 months late.

Up to there usual Postal tricks too...its dated the 11th April and its turned up today on the 21st!!! leaving me now only 21 days left of the 30 to pay.

Also I've checked on my online Government Gateway account and the amount there is different to the amount on the letter. Only by 5p but there incompetence knows no bounds.

So i'm Just wondering if anybody else had had the same thing after paying what they thought was the full amount and if they appealed then what was the outcome?
    That seems odd.

Surcharges are usually against APNs unpaid. Presumably you had an FN and APN for 07/08 and if you paid them within the original 90 days or extended period if you made a rep, no reason why a surcharge should arise.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
      That seems odd.

Surcharges are usually against APNs unpaid. Presumably you had an FN and APN for 07/08 and if you paid them within the original 90 days or extended period if you made a rep, no reason why a surcharge should arise.
      Yep. All paid within the 90 days and all interest and NI paid too. I thought that was the end of it but it looks like its not!!!

Is this just HMRC trying it on????

Comment

Yep. All paid within the 90 days and all interest and NI paid too. I thought that was the end of it but it looks like its not!!!

Is this just HMRC trying it on????
        The try everything on.

It might be worth calling them initially. Try to record the call if you can.

Comment

Surprisingly, given HMRCs utterly deserved pisspoor reputation for not answering the phone, whenever I've rung the numbers on the APN/STAR Notices I've got through to someone with 30 seconds who does seem to know what they are talking about. Perhaps I've been lucky. I can only assume those offices are better staffed and get fewer calls.

Always ring and chase up if you have any questions. Always make notes immediately after, and record the conversation if you can. Always get the person's name. Always keep copies of everything.

Whenever I have rung back they appear to have kept notes of previous conversations, so if you have a chat with them and they claim later not to have, that's an immediate alarm bell to reiterate whatever was said before, and perhaps lodge a complaint if it's material.

I always send post to them by Signed For or Special Delivery mail. No point given them any sort of upper hand, no chance to say "didn't get it" or "didn't say that". If a conversation or agreement is important, write it down, and back it up with a letter to them stating what you think was discussed and agreed.

Comment

I begrudgingly settled for the DTA years of 2007 & 2008 and like a lot of people here I had the follower notice and had just had enough of the whole sorry mess and wanted it out of the way.

I paid the amended tax plus all the interest and NI stupidly thinking the matter was closed, but now the tossers have sent me a 'Notice of surcharge for late payment of tax for the tax year ended 5 April 2008.'!!!!!!! Two 5% surcharges. 1 for 28 days late and the other for being over 6 months late.

Up to there usual Postal tricks too...its dated the 11th April and its turned up today on the 21st!!! leaving me now only 21 days left of the 30 to pay.

Also I've checked on my online Government Gateway account and the amount there is different to the amount on the letter. Only by 5p but there incompetence knows no bounds.

So i'm Just wondering if anybody else had had the same thing after paying what they thought was the full amount and if they appealed then what was the outcome?
            I was warned that if I did send payment close to the deadline, there was a chance (HMRC speak for near certainty) that there would be a delay in telling other relevant HMRC departments, and fines and interest might be incorrectly applied. These can of course be reversed if added in error.

AFAIK once payment has been received, even if the day before the deadline, that's your part of the deal done. However, call them and check when they got payment, and if before the deadline, tell them to remove the excess charges and back it up with a letter.

And keep notes.

Comment

Originally posted by phileds View Post
              I was warned that if I did send payment close to the deadline, there was a chance (HMRC speak for near certainty) that there would be a delay in telling other relevant HMRC departments, and fines and interest might be incorrectly applied. These can of course be reversed if added in error.

AFAIK once payment has been received, even if the day before the deadline, that's your part of the deal done. However, call them and check when they got payment, and if before the deadline, tell them to remove the excess charges and back it up with a letter.

And keep notes.
              I'm pretty sure these surcharge relate to the fact that I have paid the tax now but should have paid it in 2008, hence why they have hit me with 2 surcharges, one for 28 days late and then again for over 6 months late.

My deadline for the follower notice was 14th February (yes valentines day they are all heart!!!) and I paid on the 18th January so even the incompetent morons at HMRC should have sorted it before that deadline.

Comment

I'm pretty sure these surcharge relate to the fact that I have paid the tax now but should have paid it in 2008, hence why they have hit me with 2 surcharges, one for 28 days late and then again for over 6 months late.

My deadline for the follower notice was 14th February (yes valentines day they are all heart!!!) and I paid on the 18th January so even the incompetent morons at HMRC should have sorted it before that deadline.
                Yes they are incompetent morons. However they will also try anything on.

Let us know what they say after you call them.

Comment

Almost certainly not the case.

PM me
                  Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                    Almost certainly not the case.

PM me
                    PM Sent

Comment

Also received surcharges for 10% for 2 years following settlement. Will follow up with HMRC tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                      X