• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

2019 tax charge - consultation preparation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    These clever peope make a killing on highly priced advice without going to jail for fraud when their schemes fail, but the clients get burnt in the end.
    Not one single loan scheme has failed to date.

Comment

Originally posted by Whysoserious View Post
      Murray Group...

Pending appeal at the Supreme Court of course, but it was deemed to fail at a lower court.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        Murray Group...

Pending appeal at the Supreme Court of course, but it was deemed to fail at a lower court.
        I understood Murray Group had won 2 and lost (the last) 1?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

OK firstly to quote directly from the published judgement on the case..
          "with the result that the obligation to deduct tax under the PAYE system fell on the employer who made such a payment.”

If the Murray decision remains unchanged, the tax liability therefore falls on the employer, not the employee.

Secondly, three QCs in this area have gone on record pulling apart the decision to award in favour of HMRC. One of them commented that the decision was largely based on New Zealand Tax Law, not UK Tax Law. To name only one of the many holes found in the judgement.
          It is therefore generally accepted that the decision will be overturned in favour of Murray at the Supreme Court.

HMRC know this, hence the distinct lack of celebration from the 'victory' at the Court of Session.

Comment

It is therefore generally accepted that the decision will be overturned in favour of Murray at the Supreme Court.
            I struggle big time on your 'generally accepted' point. Many of those who've commented have a vested interest in maintaining that view. After the Supreme Court's judgement on UBS, I would say that the odds of Murray Group winning are small. Not vanishingly small but small nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by Iliketax View Post
              I struggle big time on your 'generally accepted' point. Many of those who've commented have a vested interest in maintaining that view. After the Supreme Court's judgement on UBS, I would say that the odds of Murray Group winning are small. Not vanishingly small but small nonetheless.
              I struggle to see how the UBS case has any correlation to EBT and loan schemes. We shall just have to wait and see who is right and who is wrong.

Comment

Not for sellers of the loan schemes, but for the buyers situation is very different, the end result is terrible for a lot of people and it makes little difference if technically "loan" schemes "worked".

Specifically HMRC will get loan users with new tax and lets not forget APNs and years of anxiety, divirces, bankrupcies - how can you say loan schemes did not fail for the buyers???
                Last edited by AtW; 11 May 2016, 23:26.

Comment

When is the Murray vs HMRC decision due?

Comment

I struggle to see how the UBS case has any correlation to EBT and loan schemes.
                    It's worth a read. Basically UBS wanted to pay its staff and decided to do it in a fancy way that, they claimed, meant no tax was paid. Most loan schemes do the same thing, but the fancy way of doing it is with a trust and a loan. The Supreme Court said they can ignore something fancy that has "no business or commercial purpose" which meant that what the UBS guys got was taxed as a bonus.

So turning to loans, I struggle to see how paying someone via a trust and loan (as opposed to paying them with normal a normal salary/bonus) has any business or commercial purpose. In other words, getting cash to individual clearly has a business purpose. But doing it via a trust and a loan?

And the FTT is already applying the UBS decision in a completely different context to a bonus scheme, for example:

Originally posted by FTT
                    128 In our judgment, these authoritative comments are of general application to the construction of tax legislation where (as in this appeal) avoidance of tax is sought to be achieved by the use of a provision apparently providing for a tax exemption, by its application to ‘transactions having no connection to the real world of business’ such as we find the transactions by which the Partnership arranged to receive the Helios dividends to have been.
                    IWe shall just have to wait and see who is right and who is wrong.
                    Yep

Comment

Originally posted by EBTContractor View Post
                      When is the Murray vs HMRC decision due?
                      Murray Group have been granted an appeal at the supreme court. I can't see it being settled this year?
                      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Working...
                      X