• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contemplating - Indefinite Hunger Strike against Government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
    Yes but you're missing the point.
    They want to extort a few £billion, and the only realistic prospect of collecting that sort of amount is from the users.
    I don't think he is, quite the opposite. He sees all too well that he is being singled out for coldly calculated reasons. Hence the righteous anger and obvious suffering.
    Can totally relate.
    We know very well they "want" our hard-earned money. They can have it - but as far as I'm concerned, from my cold dead hands.
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

It is totally galling that the promoters get away scott free but HMG/HMRC have no interest in them because they can't get £billions off them.

Comment

It is totally galling that the promoters get away scott free but HMG/HMRC have no interest in them because they can't get £billions off them.
        That they can recover said £billions from contractors is a VERY wild assumption they are making, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
          That they can recover said £billions from contractors is a VERY wild assumption they are making, IMO.
          It's probably looking eminently achievable in their eyes.

After all, they've already collected £2bn through APNs, of which a substantial chunk will be from contractors.

HMRC claims £2bn from tax avoiders under new repayment rules - Citywire

Comment

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
            I guess all contractors want a revolution but all are waiting for someone to start it!
            Not true. Its just internet morons who want to mouth off. I have been there and bought the t-shirt. Don't bother.

Comment

It's probably looking eminently achievable in their eyes.

After all, they've already collected £2bn through APNs, of which a substantial chunk will be from contractors.

HMRC claims £2bn from tax avoiders under new repayment rules - Citywire
              HMRC will not care that a few thousand go bankrupt or even tens of thousands, as long as they can collect enough to turn it into good spin for the Government.

And as you can see from the latest sets of benefits cuts, the system will hardly be struggling to provide for those forced into destitution either.

Remember, on a personal level they simply don't care how you end up. If you ended up on the streets and begged enough for a coffee, they'd take the cup too.
              Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
              http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
                If you ended up on the streets and begged enough for a coffee, they'd take the cup too.
                Couldn't have put it better.
                Ultimately, your responsibility as a human person is to your family and to yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by StrengthInNumbers View Post
                  No it shouldn't be. Remember we are changing laws retrospectively. Doesn't matter where directors were liable or not - whether they can pay or not. When they are not considering what happens to a contractor family, they should not consider what happens to directors or QC or Staff families. QC, Directors and Staff and HMRC are as much as responsible for this mess as I am. Why only I should get punished?

And if I feel this is not justice and I don't stand up for it, what do I stand for?
                  Try to remember it's not personal. They make laws to protect themselves and enhance their electability. They always have even in ancient Rome. Yes, it's unfair, it always has been.
                  Going on hunger strike is pointless - the Government would cut your benefits on the basis that you don't need feeding.

In their eyes you are a statistic not a sentient human being.

Comment

Originally posted by flamel View Post
                    Try to remember it's not personal. They make laws to protect themselves and enhance their electability. They always have even in ancient Rome. Yes, it's unfair, it always has been.
                    In Rome they had gladiators to placate the mob. Now it is football on a flat screen TV.

I still hope the Panama leaks will provoke some change. Money will flow onshore and get the economy moving. Call me naive.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                      In Rome they had gladiators to placate the mob. Now it is football on a flat screen TV.

I still hope the Panama leaks will provoke some change. Money will flow to another more secure tax haven and get their economy moving. Call me naive.....
                      FTFY

Comment

Working...
                      X