• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contemplating - Indefinite Hunger Strike against Government

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think you need to decide what it is you want to achieve.

1) protest against the changes (you'll get no sympathy even if you were to douse yourself in petrol and set yourself alight)

2) stop the legislation (dream on)

3) take revenge on the law makers (might make you feel better but won't achieve much else; these people didn't get to where they are without being incredibly thick skinned and coated in teflon)

4) get the best financial outcome for your family

When BN66 was first announced 8 years ago, I was feeling the same outrage, anger and bitterness as many of you and pursued 1, 2 and 3. After years of banging my head against a wall, and making myself ill in the process, all I'm interested in now is 4.

I would not recommend anyone follows the path I did.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      With all due respect, BrilloPad, the boundaries of "what you can change" are largely self-imposed.
      I have joined the revolution once. When the second revolution came(NTRT) I stepped out quickly.

The second revolution did not want to hear or learn any of the lessons from my first revolution days. I doubt anyone here will want to hear the lessons.

Their life. Their call.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        When the second revolution came(NTRT) I stepped out quickly.
        I went along with it but, in my heart, I never believed any of the following would achieve anything:
        • campaigning, lobbying
        • formal complaints, adjudicators, ombudsman
        • Judicial Review
        • negotiating with HMRC

Complete waste of time and money.
        Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 5 April 2016, 08:20.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
          I went along with it but, in my heart, I knew none of the following would be likely to achieve anything:
          • campaigning, lobbying
          • formal complaints, adjudicators, ombudsman
          • Judicial Review
          • negotiating with HMRC

Total waste of time and money.
          One thing I would say. Your efforts led to TAA. And that is HUGELY appreciated.

I hate talking about the negative - especially when HMRC are reading. You(and NTRT committee) have shown the way forward - contractors getting together with a small sum of money each and going down the legal route.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            contractors getting together with a small sum of money each and going down the legal route.
            Yep, this is the only way to go when you are dealing with HMRC. May still not achieve a result but litigation is the only thing they take notice of.

Forget the promoters. Form an army, all chuck £1k in the pot, and see where it takes you.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
              I think you need to decide what it is you want to achieve.

1) protest against the changes (you'll get no sympathy even if you were to douse yourself in petrol and set yourself alight)

2) stop the legislation (dream on)

3) take revenge on the law makers (might make you feel better but won't achieve much else; these people didn't get to where they are without being incredibly thick skinned and coated in teflon)

4) get the best financial outcome for your family

When BN66 was first announced 8 years ago, I was feeling the same outrage, anger and bitterness as many of you and pursued 1, 2 and 3. After years of banging my head against a wall, and making myself ill in the process, all I'm interested in now is 4.

I would not recommend anyone follows the path I did.
              Wise words. Reading all the stuff about Panama etc makes it seem unfair, but we all know nothing will change.
              What I want is an ending - I'm resigned to an IVA or bankruptcy and the sooner it happens the sooner I can get on with the rest of my life, albeit one without working for a living and living in semi-poverty (I work in finance so can't work after the IVA/bankruptcy).
              HMRC won't get the money they want but in the meantime, the kids are sorted and the last one will leave home in a couple of years and the wife has left so no responsibilities.
              As one door closes, others will open up - there's no point concentrating on the door that's closed.
              I intend to move to France with new woman, where she can afford to buy a house for cash and the wine is cheap.
              I might just be that this will be my saviour, as if I keep on working in financial services for much longer I'd end up in a wooden box anyway.
              Join Big Group - don't let them get away with it
              http://www.wttbiggroup.co.uk/

Comment

Based on my own experience, think carefully before letting this take over your life.

The frustration of endless years of not making much, if any, headway can really take its toll on your mental health.

Comment

I get all that discussed above. But I simple question WHAT R WE DOING ABOUT IT? Sit and type on screens and join groups? That's it

No a single soul wants to fight this come may what? As a society we all have decided not to revolt whatever elected class does?

Comment

The only way to fight is with lawyers and courts. (Which is exactly what we're doing in NTRT. Our members stumped up £0.5M to take the bastards on.)

Grand gestures, demos, publicity stunts will get you nowhere when 99.999% of the population are against you.

Tax avoiders are public enemy #1 at the moment.

Comment

Just been reading this thread - I completely sympathise with Strengthinnumber's situation and echo the thoughts of webberg in getting some help. This situation can completely change how you think about life. When I got my first letter I thought it was the end of my life and two days later I was seconds away from taking my life at the local train station. Thankfully I didnt and slowly but surely I have been able to move on with my life. But you need help from your family, friends (if you can confide in them) and also counselling in order to get to grips with the situation, understand the reality and devise a plan of action in order to move on. Easy to say and harder to do I know but getting support from others helps so much.

The fact is as webberg has stated the government need money and look for easy targets which means us. Therefore we all need to try and accept the reality of this and whereever possible devise a plan which I know is easier said than done. Bu there are avenues such as Big Group who can help with a clear strategy to minimise the impact but also state a reality of your situation. Only then can you start to come to terms and try and get some form of piece of mind. On a personal level the situation highlights the unfair treatment from HMRC on the basis of 1 mistake/misjudgement based on advice given by people who we trusted. As aa result it makes you think how undemocratic this country is (I know lots of you will say 'it never was democratic'!) and how absolutely useless our politcians are. Everyone impacted by this are decent people who are only asked to be treated fairly in order to rid themselves of this appalling and stressful situation. As a result of 1 mistake many people have had their lives changes forever. That cannot be fair. Most if not all people that i know impacted by this or who have posted are just looking for an element of reasonable behaviour from HMRC.

Good luck to everyone who is going through their own situation - I'm sure all of us will eventually get through this - scarred from it maybe but one day it will end.

Comment

Working...
                      X