• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

COP 8 and section 9A = not the same?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

COP 8 and section 9A = not the same?

I'm running a bit of a survey.

From perhaps mid 2005 to early 2008 it appears that some HMRC template letters allegedly opening enquiries said something like

" I intend to enquire into year 20xx/xx, relating to your scheme xxxx. Please see attached COP8"

No mention of the legal statute under which an enquiry could be made.

I have details of that letter from some schemes and I'm wondering how widely it was used.

If you were able to have a look and indicate what year/scheme was involved, I'd appreciate it.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

I received 2 such letters, one in Jan 07 (relating to 2005 return) and one in Jan 08 (relating to 2006 return).
    Both are almost identical, with the 2nd one differing as mentioned below.

"Dear XXXX,
    Thank you for your tax return for the year ended 5 April 2005 (2006 for the 2nd letter)

I am writing to tell you that I intend to enquire into this return. Each year we enquire into some tax returns to check that they are correct, or because we need further information to understand the figures. We want to make sure you pay the right amount of tax, not too little or too much. I will let you know if I find anything wrong.

My enquiry is concerned with the employment income and benefits provided to you by your employer. I am hoping to deal with this matter centrally but I am opening this enquiry to protect the interests of HMRC, so that any adjustments eventually agreed may be reflected in an amendment to your self assessment if appropriate. I am also sending a copy of this letter to your accountant, Thomas & Co. You may wish to talk to your employer or your accountant about my letter.

I will not be checking other areas of your return unless you reply, or any other information, gives me reason to.

I enclose a copy of our Code of Practice concerning enquiries into tax returns. Please take time to read it."

The only difference between the two letters is that on the second one, "Edge Consulting Ltd' is used instead of "employer" in the main paragraph.

A year later I received a Cop 8 for my 2005 return. I never heard anything else about the 2006 investigation.

Hope this helps.

Comment

And if it helps, this is the CoP8 letter:

"Dear XXXX,
      In January 2007 you received a letter indicating my intention to enquire into your 2004-05 Tax Return. The enquiry notice was issued to protect the position of HMRC and no queries were raised at that time.

This position has not altered, but the Code of Practice under which this notice was issued has been changed to Code of Practice 8. I attach a copy of this for your reference. Any Code of Practice previously issued is now withdrawn. No action is necessary by you in respect of this"

Comment

Edge, years ending April '06 and '08: "My check will be made under Section 9A of the Taxes Management Act 1970."

Comment

Originally posted by PeterF View Post
          Edge, years ending April '06 and '08: "My check will be made under Section 9A of the Taxes Management Act 1970."
          Peter, when was that letter dated please?

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            Peter, when was that letter dated please?
            April '06 dated 1st July 2009
            April '08 dated 27th November 2009

Comment

ASIOM

Mine dated 7th January 2009 says
              "This will be dealt with by Special Civil Investigations Office Solihull under Code of Practice 8. I refer you to www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/cop8.pdf, please read it carefully".

I note that this link now has a document that claims to have been first published on 28th August 2014!
              The "Our service commitment to you" section is laughable. - promptly, accurately and accessible for example

Comment

Originally posted by paul1315 View Post
                Mine dated 7th January 2009 says
                "This will be dealt with by Special Civil Investigations Office Solihull under Code of Practice 8. I refer you to www.hmrc.gov.uk/pdfs/cop8.pdf, please read it carefully".

I note that this link now has a document that claims to have been first published on 28th August 2014!
                The "Our service commitment to you" section is laughable. - promptly, accurately and accessible for example
                Same for me - COP8 and no mention of section 9.

Comment

Thanks all.

A pattern is emerging but more is better.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Letter dated 15/1/2008 relating to tax year 05/06 plus another dated 14/1/2009 relating to tax year 06/07 - both are an enquiry under COP8 (photocopy of the COP8 booklet was enclosed). Not heard a thing since then.

Comment

Working...
                    X