• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cost for Litigation

Originally posted by webberg View Post
    There is a choice to be made between settlement and fighting on.

The settlement offer will arrive this year, perhaps early next and you will have a limited time to accept it. If you do not accept it, your choices then become litigating or reaching some other agreement with HMRC. Clearly Big Group is aiming at reaching that agreement on behalf of all its members but will, if required, litigate.

So, until you reach a point of the settlement offer expiring, a final decision is not required.

The loan charge is based on a deemed event at 5th April 2019. You are required to disclose information by the end of September 2019 and the tax is due 31st January 2020.

Will we have a resolution by then? Probably not as HMRC are using their usual delaying tactics and even though we are pushing hard, getting a Tribunal date and decision by then is unlikely. (This assumes that HMRC continue to litigation, even where they have a low chance of winning, because despite a strategy on these matters, HMRC routinely disregard it and continue anyway).

So the question then becomes whether a loan charge arises.

We have seen promoters of various colours claim that their scheme is outside the loan charge rules. we have seen HMRC claim the opposite. Given that HMRC has not backed up their claims with a factual analysis of each scheme it has to be observed that the "all loans are caught" type of statements owe more to dogmatic adherence to policy than application of law to facts.

However, it's clear that non disclosure or appeal against an assessment or statement, will be met with a contrary position from HMRC, possibly leading to further litigation.

We have an analysis that in some instances supports what the promoters say and in some cases does not. We will make that available to all Big Group members and explain the consequences of that analysis being right or wrong. We cannot and do not guarantee that if we say no disclosure is required or that the loan charge can be defeated, we are correct.

Doing anything that is contrary to HMRC's view brings a risk. We will explain those risks to our members and guide them as to a sensible decision.

That decision might be:

Settle
    Litigate the loan charge
    Litigate the scheme
    Pay the loan charge and fight afterwards
    Pay the loan charge on all years
    Pay the loan charge only on closed years

Much as I would like to present simple, black or white, options, I cannot.
    So would there be extra costs for Big group members if it was decided to go down the path of litigation?

Comment

Settlement pack received

Pause - big breath - pause again - call us.

It's easier to talk about this - no charge - than to write this up again here.

You can Google us at WTT Big Group.
      So I have now received my settlement pack from HMRC.
      they want it back by 30th Sept.
      if I fill this in and return back to them, is that it? - I will owe tax!
      is this the point where I need to decide whether to settle or fight on?

not sure what to do or what this now means to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Colfeian View Post
        So I have now received my settlement pack from HMRC.
        they want it back by 30th Sept.
        if I fill this in and return back to them, is that it? - I will owe tax!
        is this the point where I need to decide whether to settle or fight on?

not sure what to do or what this now means to me.
        No. They will, at some point, come back with their settlement offer ( sounds like 3 - 6 months is the current wait ) based on what you supplied and what they know.

Once you have their offer I believe they generally offer you 30 days to decide whether you want to accept it or not. Not sure how much you back and forth you can have over figures. I have heard that the 30 days is part of their nudge technique to force you to settle but that it is more flexible than that if you push.

That offer is when you have to decide to accept it or reject it.

Sign up with a good advisor if you can afford it. They will be much more adept at making sure HMRC are kept honest ( well honester ).

Oh, and do research so you understand as well as you can what the options are.

Comment

Don't settle. You like don't owe nothing - until you sign the CLSO2 dotted line...
          Why bother?

Comment

Originally posted by DeadDOTAS View Post
            Don't settle. You like don't owe nothing - until you sign the CLSO2 dotted line...
            Why bother?
            ? Not sure I follow?
            Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

RTC and loan charge

Does the requirement to correct (RTC) have an interaction with any offshore affairs with the loan charge?
              Deadline for that is 30 Sep 2018, not 6th Apr/October 2019 as per loan charge?

Comment

We think that some schemes are susceptible to RTC, yes.

The deadline is 30th September 2018.

BG members will have their indication of our position today.

(No, me neither).

Comment

BG

We think that some schemes are susceptible to RTC, yes.

The deadline is 30th September 2018.

BG members will have their indication of our position today.

I've tried to rejoin BG since last week but no response - are they open to joiners?

Comment

Yes we are open and accepting new and old members.

We are busy with the 30th September deadline though and answering enquiries in strict order.

PM me your email/telephone and I'll see what can be done.

(No, me neither).

Comment

The Big Group

Where do I get information on joining the BG and what to expect from membership?

Yes we are open and accepting new and old members.

We are busy with the 30th September deadline though and answering enquiries in strict order.

PM me your email/telephone and I'll see what can be done.

Comment

Working...
                      X