• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement groups - common purpose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dirk View Post
    Are you sure they have public opinion on their side? Most of the intelligent people I speak to regarding taxation think that we, the public are part of an extortion racket!

I agree with you that these groups are stronger together.
    Yes, I'm pretty convinced that HMRC has public opinion on its side.

They have been very successful in getting well paid public names in the press with stories of tax avoidance. It's also a fact that many uninformed (in tax matters) people see no distinction between Starbucks paying very little (legitimately) in the UK and groups of modestly affluent people seeking to shave a few points off their liability.

It's like the old joke about Churchill and Lady Astor.

Churchill, "Would you sleep with me for £5?"
    Astor "Certainly not!"
    Churchill "How about £1m?"
    Astor "I might, but what do you think I am?"
    Churchill "We've established what you are, now we're negotiating a price"

Morally there is no difference between paying a plumber £20, cash in hand that you know he's not going to declare, and arranging a series of offshore companies to remove UK liability by the million. The latter just costs more to do.

Comment

Working...
    X