• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wonga to pay £2.6m in compensation for 'unfair and misleading' practices

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    That is what savings are for.

If you can't afford to look after a baby then don't have one.
    Yeah relationships are so stable and always last until the child is an adult

I bet in the example you picked above, the mother would have spent it on fags, booze, mobile phoner and sky. The father would have been feckless and fecked off.
    Actually the poverty program I watched actually had 3 very good cases.

One was a grandmother looking after her granddaughter as the father had fecked off and the daughter, the kid's mother, was a no-hoper. The grandmother had to change her job to look after the kid so earned a lot less money - one thing social services hadn't considered when placing her. They obviously worked out it was cheaper to put her with her grandmother than with long-term foster parents.

A single dad who was fine until his daughter ended up with cancer. He had given up work as he had to take his daughter to and from hospital every day so she could get treatment.

And a single mother who decided the only way to get a decently paying job was to be become a prostitute. She started drinking heavily to cope with it. Her elder daughter talked her out of the job so she went back on benefits.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      Just watching the woman from Wonga talking to Channel 4 news. She's doing a Milibot.

Don't people realise that makes you look worse than if you said nothing?
      Apparently Wonga make a £1Million profit a week.

And people seem upset that no-one is facing criminal charges of fraud and impersonation of a solicitor.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Yeah relationships are so stable and always last until the child is an adult
        WTF? What has that got to do with it? I never had kids until I could afford to. Even after divorce, and not being allowed to see my kids, I have always paid for them.

That is how people should be.

Comment

Originally posted by speling bee View Post
          But who knows what may crop up?

Nervous breakdown?
          Bankruptcy following retrospective tax legislation?

Are these people feckless?
          People should be in the position of being able to provide for their children when they have them. Throughout my nervous breakdown the kids have come first. If I do go bankrupt I have a large life insurance policy at work - 4*salary as lump sum. 25% per year for wife until she dies. 12.5% for kids until they are 18. Rather than go bankrupt I will commit suicide first. And I am not going alone. I intend to be in the middle of an HMRC office holed up with those responsible while I hold the filth off - waiting for the death drugs to kick in.

I still intend to provide for my children even after I am gone. They are the only thing that matters.

Unfortunately most people are not like me. They are scum like you. Sit round trolling all day without adding anything useful. I do hope you never have children or will have children. Your sort should be sterilized at birth.

Comment

People should be in the position of being able to provide for their children when they have them. Throughout my nervous breakdown the kids have come first. If I do go bankrupt I have a large life insurance policy at work - 4*salary as lump sum. 25% per year for wife until she dies. 12.5% for kids until they are 18. Rather than go bankrupt I will commit suicide first. And I am not going alone. I intend to be in the middle of an HMRC office holed up with those responsible while I hold the filth off - waiting for the death drugs to kick in.

I still intend to provide for my children even after I am gone. They are the only thing that matters.

Unfortunately most people are not like me. They are scum like you. Sit round trolling all day without adding anything useful. I do hope you never have children or will have children. Your sort should be sterilized at birth.
            Top effort.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

talking about it on LBC.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I'm against the loan sharks but that wouldn't make much sense for a loan of 3 weeks duration. There should perhaps be a maximum one-off fee (the greater of a fixed sum or % of loan value) plus a maximum interest rate + base.
                There was a Radio 4 proggy about short term lending in third world countries about a year ago.

If it costs 50 pesos for the admin involved in a loan, that will be 50% of a 100 peso loan and there's not a lot you can do about it.

In the third world context they were addressing, a 100 peso loan was enough to get many folks started in business on their own. There is of course a world of difference between that and borrowing enough money to eat until next pay day.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

That is what savings are for.

If you can't afford to look after a baby then don't have one.

I bet in the example you picked above, the mother would have spent it on fags, booze, mobile phoner and sky succumbed to the bombardment of adverts on telly and the internet . The father would have been feckless and fecked off.
                  FTFY

Comment

But who knows what may crop up?

Nervous breakdown?
                    Bankruptcy following retrospective tax legislation?

Are these people feckless?
                    It's also a problem for anyone who takes out a 25 year mortgage when the government seems determined to to export their jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
                      It was inevitable once they legallised loan sharks, the blame should lie with parliament for allowing it
                      That's the critical point, the loan sharking business should never have been made legitimate.
                      The banks are bad enough, but when you legalise a "business" that's always been about sharp practice, threats and exploitation then this sort of thing was inevitable.

Comment

Working...
                      X