• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Black Wednesday at the Telegraph

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It is irrelevant to the agenda of zealots like you. As I have said you exploit information to push an agenda that has nothing to do with "caring". so again I ask how does the decline of sea ice fit with the last 10,000 years and beyond? And why is it such a bad thing that ice disappears?
    Its not all bad, it will open up shipping lanes and give the navies of the world more places to play with their submarines... but probably bad news if you're an Intuit subsistence hunter, or a polar bear. And bad news for the rest of us because of something called the ice albedo flip, sea ice reflects about 90% of incoming solar radiation, open water absorbs about the same fraction, so less ice means warmer water means less ice means .....
    My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
      Its not all bad, it will open up shipping lanes and give the navies of the world more places to play with their submarines... but probably bad news if you're an Intuit subsistence hunter, or a polar bear. And bad news for the rest of us because of something called the ice albedo flip, sea ice reflects about 90% of incoming solar radiation, open water absorbs about the same fraction, so less ice means warmer water means less ice means .....
      So all the more reason to use my Ocean Geoengineering product
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

If ice cover worked the way pj suggests, once it started getting less it would continue to get less would never recover. So by now, we should have been ice free for millions of years
        Sceptics spotted this right away and just cannot understand the lack of logic in the zealots thinking.

staggering really, when tou think about it
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Yeah, me and Dr James Hansen, we've both got it completely wrong. Or just maybe the ice albedo feedback is not the only factor acting on a planetary climate system ...

This ice albedo feedback is not a runaway effect. As insolation (or other)
          forcing increases, the area of ice vulnerable to melting increases. Ice sheet demise
          may occur in pulses as additional ice sheets or portions of ice sheets (e.g. West
          Antarctica or the South Dome of Greenland) become vulnerable. As long as there
          is ice on the planet, the response time to insolation forcings can be no shorter
          than the shortest insolation period (ca 6 kyr half-width of precession anomalies),
          even if ice sheets have no inertia (instantaneous response).
          Hansen et al 2007.

http://pubs.giss.nasa.gov/docs/2007/...sen_etal_2.pdf

James Hansen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Ho ho.

so all these great mechanisms that will lead to to the end of the world, somehow get overridden by natural variations.
            All the scary predictions fail. due to some other factor that they forgot about.
            All the computer models fail. But if we send more money they will get it right. one day

ho ho.
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
            X