• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Early meetings

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just become spoilt with having my office across the road from the apartment. Could not return to spending significant hours of my life behind the wheel of a car. Hat's off to those of you that do.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

I have to agree - a regular 3 hour commute is nuts.

So if this was the case I would stay overnight locally for these meetings

however if your rate does not stretch to this then you probbably need to review what you are doing with your life.

meetings before 9 and after 5 are not uncommon and cannot really be seen as something special.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I have to agree - a regular 3 hour commute is nuts.

So if this was the case I would stay overnight locally for these meetings

however if your rate does not stretch to this then you probbably need to review what you are doing with your life.

meetings before 9 and after 5 are not uncommon and cannot really be seen as something special.
        They are normally put in by permies who seem to spend the majority of their time at work and in meetings.

My hours are clearly marked in the diary, if you want to put one in early or late that does not correspond with said hours, then you will get a decline.

It's not so bad in cloggers, but in London it was pretty common, along with questioning as to why you left ''early'' ( aka at normal end of work day).
        "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Once had an interview at 8 am, the guy was American and his opening line was "I haven't seen you CV and I don't need to".

Comment

Why didn't you just ask what the dial in number was?
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
              Really?

I disagree, and wouldn't be happy somewhere that it was, even as a contractor.

It's ok once in a blue moon of course.

Most places I've worked prefer 9:30 earliest starts and 5pm latest finish for meetings.

Hate places that don't give a tulip about their employees (and by extension suppliers like us) with things like this.

Comment

I'm not happy that I have a weekly call at 9am every Friday, and I work from home.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What noddy company can't setup dial in meetings? Do you need to actually be there? I work from home almost every day expect for bit all day meetings once or twice a month.

Comment

I'm met plenty of them. Scooter to colleague 'hey jimmy someone has half inched your cake from the fridge'

Colleague to scooter 'correction scooter, some ba&tard has stolen...'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      Really?

I disagree, and wouldn't be happy somewhere that it was, even as a contractor.

It's ok once in a blue moon of course.

Most places I've worked prefer 9:30 earliest starts and 5pm latest finish for meetings.

Hate places that don't give a tulip about their employees (and by extension suppliers like us) with things like this.
                      I take it you don't work in a global environment with technology hubs based in India then? Odd timed meetings are the norm.
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X