• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ok, lets see how clever you are

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    No it wouldn't. As long as the speed matches on the straight bits it doesn't matter how much longer it is.
    That assumes they rotate independently and would require a device to measure the speed on the straight and adjust it (or a man to come along and tweak it every now and then). With escalators being pretty old technology, I think that's not the case?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Because the mirror reflects without reversing. Stuff at the bottom stays at the bottom, stuff at the left stays on the left etc.
      Why?
      "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

ok yeah see what you mean

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
          Why?
          If you imagine that some writing on a piece of glass is being reflected in the mirror. What you are now seeing is what you would see if you turned the glass over and viewed it from the rear.

Edit: Oh hang on, that's not right.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            Because the mirror reflects without reversing. Stuff at the bottom stays at the bottom, stuff at the left stays on the left etc.

When you look directly at something you are turned through half a circle and so left and right get swapped, but you don't have the same effect on up and down.
            Have you tried standing on a mirror?

Comment

watch the join on the hand rail it appears in different places each revolution.

the handrail can be run from a 1:1 gear connected to the escalator, the hand rail is a loop so is the escalator. If the handrail is 1.5 times the length of the escalator it will do one loop for every 1.5 times the escalator does a loop.

don't need to be at different speeds.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

But with standard gearing, you're not able to get it precise enough, are you? I mean typically on a whole escalator trip, the difference is perhaps 2 feet? Given the length of the run that's already pretty close.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  But with standard gearing, you're not able to get it precise enough, are you? I mean typically on a whole escalator trip, the difference is perhaps 2 feet? Given the length of the run that's already pretty close.
                  But they never have slower handrails, I've never fell backwards yet anyway at the end....

Comment

HowStuffWorks "How Escalators Work"

seem to be belt driven from the same motor , so one assumes the handrail has less loading so if the steps are overloaded the handrail will move faster as the steps belt is slipping / straining.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X