• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

would you like fries with that degree?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smartie View Post
    My Comp Sci degree years ago was pretty useful. It covered a wide variety of areas - logic (gates), computer graphics, the business side (consultancy), mathematical proof of code (Z) and analysis (SSADM - my USP in my early career). And yes, a fair bit of programming though they oddly decided to stop teaching C++ in favour of Pascal because 'we're not here to prepare you for industry'. Most students still used C++ for their final projects though.
    Yes, so was my maths degree but it didn't teach me anything I've directly used in my career. They did try and teach me some programming (in fortran) but at that point I already had too many good habits for them to screw me up.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
      Yes, so was my maths degree but it didn't teach me anything I've directly used in my career. They did try and teach me some programming (in fortran) but at that point I already had too many good habits for them to screw me up.
      My degree is in Roman History and Latin. It was excellent training in analytical skills, and also in murdering your family to become Emperor, which is surprisingly transferable to the business environment.
      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Our ex-esteemed customers have had all sorts of success.

From those now working for Cosworth, those who went on to do PhDs at Imperial & Kings, to the one who attempted to blow up the Twin Towers back in the 90s.

You can never tell quite how useful a degree might be.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

From those now working for Cosworth, those who went on to do PhDs at Imperial & Kings, to the one who attempted to blow up the Twin Towers back in the 90s.

Yousef?

I was 'studying' in the Eng dept of a nearby establishment in 93 and recall men in jackets having a poke around in our Elec Eng dept.

Comment

One of my undergraduate department student colleagues started nice and early and murdered his girlfriend and buried her under the floor boards. Very sad story.
            The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Before or after his finals?

Comment

Before or after his finals?
                In his second year IIRC.

George Frederic Watts

Comment

Working...
                X