• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I am not cut out to be a contractor!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes you'll want the money, sometimes job satisfaction and sometimes stability. And sometimes you'll be lucky to have all three.

Being permie doesn't have to be permanent.

Comment

I must be the exception to the rule as I love travelling. I normally average 2 countries per year which also avoids hitting the top tax rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
        I must be the exception to the rule as I love travelling. I normally average 2 countries per year which also avoids hitting the top tax rates.
        Avoids or evades?
        The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working for a good company with a good boss, close to home, is as good as it gets. It was the awfulness of my last permy company that set me to contracting.

Permy salaries have gone through the floor in recent years, and contracting has struggled for viability with ever shrinking rates. If your permy job pay is at all reasonable, I say go for it. You can always come back to contracting later on.

Regarding contract pay, location makes a huge difference. Any rate of less than £350 a day makes remote working not viable. With a local contract you could work for £300 and take home more. Neither of these rates will make you a millionaire after ltd company/umbrella deductions, leaving you about the same as a £50 - £55k perm salary. If the situation does not improve we will all be going permy, or retiring to keep bees.

Rates are levelling out and are now numerically the same as in 2006 - but less counting inflation.

Comment

Thanks all.

The paperwork for this extension should have been here on Friday so will hopefully be here today. I just need to try to sort things so that I have enough money for the tax bills that are going to keep landing on me for a bit and to fix the roof which now needs sorting!
            "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
              Thanks all.

The paperwork for this extension should have been here on Friday so will hopefully be here today. I just need to try to sort things so that I have enough money for the tax bills that are going to keep landing on me for a bit and to fix the roof which now needs sorting!
              Be careful. It's easy to put off taking the permie job because there is always a reason you need "one more renewal" first.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                +1. I much prefer a steady income from repeat business. That's the advantage of developing relationships with consultancies and vendors.
                I like repeat business as well. That's part of the applying process a lot of the time though....

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  Neither of these rates will make you a millionaire after ltd company/umbrella deductions, leaving you about the same as a £50 - £55k perm salary.
                  What a horrible life, having to slum it on only £55k
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                    Working for a good company with a good boss, close to home, is as good as it gets. It was the awfulness of my last permy company that set me to contracting.

Permy salaries have gone through the floor in recent years, and contracting has struggled for viability with ever shrinking rates. If your permy job pay is at all reasonable, I say go for it. You can always come back to contracting later on.

Regarding contract pay, location makes a huge difference. Any rate of less than £350 a day makes remote working not viable. With a local contract you could work for £300 and take home more. Neither of these rates will make you a millionaire after ltd company/umbrella deductions, leaving you about the same as a £50 - £55k perm salary. If the situation does not improve we will all be going permy, or retiring to keep bees.

Rates are levelling out and are now numerically the same as in 2006 - but less counting inflation.
                    £300/day still gets you net take home of over £4k which is a lot better than perm salary of £50k. However you lose a lot of the benefits.....

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
                      £300/day still gets you net take home of over £4k which is a lot better than perm salary of £50k. However you lose a lot of the benefits.....
                      true, but the child benefit clawback between £50k->£60k makes going permie not a very pleasant option....
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X