• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do young people not read long emails any more?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    They then deny you said it when they cock up and try to blame you, I like an email to reach for. I do try to talk face to face with more crucial conversations then confirm in an email.
    Then nothing to worry about then as long as you have mentioned in the email you spoke to them that morning/afternoon.

In absence of a PM on one project (they have been promoted and not replaced) I have been sending out 2 page email meeting notes with all issues. Strange things that were 'impossible' or 'not our job' before I did this seem to be happening.
    I wouldn't read a 2 page email.

This why lots of companies now have a meeting every day and do their screwed up version of Scrum.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

This why lots of companies now have a meeting every day and do their screwed up version of Scrum.
        Not quite sure why you wouldn't if it was a large project and part of your duties?

They do because their name is against some of the actions and its copied to their Boss's Boss. Maybe that is why the project is slowly getting back on schedule? They spent months avoiding doing anything until now.

Best projects I have been on are where the PM is anally retentive and produces adequate (not excessive) documentation in good time.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Then nothing to worry about then as long as you have mentioned in the email you spoke to them that morning/afternoon.

What if the pages are really small and the font size and spacing really big?
          The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Not quite sure why you wouldn't if it was a large project and part of your duties?

They do because their name is against some of the actions and its copied to their Boss's Boss. Maybe that is why the project is slowly getting back on schedule? They spent months avoiding doing anything until now.

Best projects I have been on are where the PM is anally retentive and produces adequate (not excessive) documentation in good time.
            The main reason I wouldn't read a 2 page email is most of them are full of irrelevant information and management speak that makes me have feelings of hatred towards the sender.

In addition most of the projects I work on are FAgile with boards everywhere so you should know what you are doing and why.

You are working with a load of people who have no incentive to get the work done as they have no incentive to do it other than to keep their jobs. The incentivised permies I've worked with are always learning a new skill, soft or otherwise, so if they need to find another job they can put it on their CV.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You are working with a load of people who have no incentive to get the work done as they have no incentive to do it other than to keep their jobs.
              Most definitely this for half the team! Unfortunately firing half of them isn't an option. Shaming them into doing something seems to work better than trusting them to do it.

Tried the agile style projects , not sure if its the lack of skill of the participants but they normally end up as an Emu with wheels when we wanted a table.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Most definitely this for half the team! Unfortunately firing half of them isn't an option. Shaming them into doing something seems to work better than trusting them to do it.

Tried the agile style projects , not sure if its the lack of skill of the participants but they normally end up as an Emu with wheels when we wanted a table.
                Emu on Wheels - got a ring to it - perhaps a new framework?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  Emu on Wheels - got a ring to it - perhaps a new framework?
                  Perhaps the next version of Ruby on rails?
                  "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Owly, you are not alone. The other day I sent a long email, it contained only the facts. You know the kind of thing, this the the progress to date, these are the blockers, these are the decisions I am chasing, etc etc.

I also clearly stated the scope of work had changed, as in got much larger and more complex, and clearly asked for some additional resource in terms of testers and a BA.

And I was very clear that owing to the current state of things, ie having so many decisions outstanding, and unanswered questions it was not possible to provide an end date until we got some answers.

I sheet you not, 24 hours later the PM came up to me and asked how much longer it was going to take.

Was the email read? Was it being deliberately ignored?

No fooking idea, but the needless interruption didn't go down to well as I was balls deep in trying to solve these issues at the time, so having to pull my head out of what I was doing and field questions I had already answered in my email made me feel like murdering a kitten.
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

I do one of 3 things:

- 1-3 word emails
                      - missives that would make a Thomas Mann book look short but all in English so no-one reads them anyway
                      - lots of pictures, that seems to work

Its a shame Germans know what RTFM means otherwise that would be in a lot of my mails
                      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X