• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Do young people not read long emails any more?"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    long drivel
    Awesome post! Epic!

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Totally this. Laziness is endemic. One day I will go postal.
    Going postal would be no use - There's too much junk mail these days!

No seriously, I agree 100% with you Suity (I did after all start this thread).

But there is another side to this - One can also be lazy in drafting and sending emails, i.e. not making the effort to keep the email concise and to the point and to target it only at people who need to read it or be aware of it now.

But then if you're too strict on the targetting, someone you omitted to CC complains that you're keeping them out of the loop and could you kindly keep them informed in future.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Still fooking read em and respond to them.
    That might be why you are so ill all the time.....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    kks

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Do young people not read long emails any more?
    where by long I ... [endless waffle]
    <yawn>

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Yeah but your job is low level and you only get 3 a day.
    Still fooking read em and respond to them.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Lazy arsed, slack jawed, sloping shouldered, column dodging, layabout, oxygen thief, stuffed suit, waste of space, lefty liberal, Pringle jumper wearing, Saturday golfing, passat driving, greasy pole climbing, inert, seat warming, should be a civil servant, or an mep, probably in management time waster.

I read them. And act on them. I call it doing my job.

HTH.
    Yeah but your job is low level and you only get 3 a day.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
    With the amount of arse-covering that people need to engage in nowadays, it's no surprise.

Some people are just lazy with email, though. That does tick me off.
    Totally this. Laziness is endemic. One day I will go postal.

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
    Reason most people don't read email is because email is broken.

In my last corporate job I received easily more than 100 per day.

You can't read them, never mind digest and act on all that information.
    Lazy arsed, slack jawed, sloping shouldered, column dodging, layabout, oxygen thief, stuffed suit, waste of space, lefty liberal, Pringle jumper wearing, Saturday golfing, passat driving, greasy pole climbing, inert, seat warming, should be a civil servant, or an mep, probably in management time waster.

I read them. And act on them. I call it doing my job.

HTH.

Leave a comment:

• Zero Liability
    replied
    With the amount of arse-covering that people need to engage in nowadays, it's no surprise.

Some people are just lazy with email, though. That does tick me off.

Leave a comment:

• tomtomagain
    replied
    Reason most people don't read email is because email is broken.

In my last corporate job I received easily more than 100 per day.

You can't read them, never mind digest and act on all that information.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I do one of 3 things:

- 1-3 word emails
    - missives that would make a Thomas Mann book look short but all in English so no-one reads them anyway
    - lots of pictures, that seems to work

Its a shame Germans know what RTFM means otherwise that would be in a lot of my mails

Leave a comment:

• suityou01
    replied
    Owly, you are not alone. The other day I sent a long email, it contained only the facts. You know the kind of thing, this the the progress to date, these are the blockers, these are the decisions I am chasing, etc etc.

I also clearly stated the scope of work had changed, as in got much larger and more complex, and clearly asked for some additional resource in terms of testers and a BA.

And I was very clear that owing to the current state of things, ie having so many decisions outstanding, and unanswered questions it was not possible to provide an end date until we got some answers.

I sheet you not, 24 hours later the PM came up to me and asked how much longer it was going to take.

Was the email read? Was it being deliberately ignored?

No fooking idea, but the needless interruption didn't go down to well as I was balls deep in trying to solve these issues at the time, so having to pull my head out of what I was doing and field questions I had already answered in my email made me feel like murdering a kitten.

Leave a comment:

• MyUserName
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Emu on Wheels - got a ring to it - perhaps a new framework?
    Perhaps the next version of Ruby on rails?

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Most definitely this for half the team! Unfortunately firing half of them isn't an option. Shaming them into doing something seems to work better than trusting them to do it.

Tried the agile style projects , not sure if its the lack of skill of the participants but they normally end up as an Emu with wheels when we wanted a table.
    Emu on Wheels - got a ring to it - perhaps a new framework?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X