• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Western Antarctic ice sheet collapse has already begun, scientists warn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It may actually be the case that there is nothing that can be done and the answer is "we are ****ed". These situations do occur from time to time.
    If we can use geo technology to pump CO2 into the atmosphere then it should not be too hard to reverse the process.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      If we can use geo technology to pump CO2 into the atmosphere then it should not be too hard to reverse the process.
      How incredibly naive. Why would you think that? The burning of hydrocarbon fuel is incredibly easy and incredibly expensive (in terms of energy) to reverse. That's what makes it so bloody useful and hard to replace in the first place.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

why bother. Water vapour is many times more potent than CO2

there is no problem. why propose vastly expensive non solutions to a non problem
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

How incredibly naive. Why would you think that? The burning of hydrocarbon fuel is incredibly easy and incredibly expensive (in terms of energy) to reverse. That's what makes it so bloody useful and hard to replace in the first place.
          I have already explained how stimulating photosynthesis would reverse the process. I suppose you think that the only way for any sort of technology to work would involve burning something

Manager: "OK Doodab how are we going to build an IT system to run our accounts payable?"
          Doodab: "Simple, burn a couple of PCs that should do the trick"
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I think someone should take that y-axis off pj, before he hurts someone
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

I have already explained how stimulating photosynthesis would reverse the process.
              No you haven't. We're burning (what used to be biomass) that took literally millions of years to grow and as far as I can tell we are burning it at a faster rate than we can create replacement biomass via photosynthesis.

I suppose you think that the only way for any sort of technology to work would involve burning something
              Oh goody, yet another piece of spurious dodgy bulltulip. It was quite clear in what I said that I'm talking about reversing the process of burning. You really must be quite thick not to have grasped that. Either that or you are simply slinging mud because you've realised your arguments are twaddle.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

No you haven't. We're burning (what used to be biomass) that took literally millions of years to grow and as far as I can tell we are burning it at a faster rate than we can create replacement biomass via photosynthesis.

Oh goody, yet another piece of spurious dodgy bulltulip. It was quite clear in what I said that I'm talking about reversing the process of burning. You really must be quite thick not to have grasped that. Either that or you are simply slinging mud because you've realised your arguments are twaddle.
                I meant reverse the effect not the process.Do you take everything literally?

Comment

No you haven't. We're burning (what used to be biomass) that took literally millions of years to grow and for the sake of me winning an argument we are burning it at a faster rate than we can create replacement biomass via photosynthesis.

Comment

I meant reverse the effect not the process.Do you take everything literally?
                    Erm, you do realise that photosynthesis stores solar energy as chemical energy by turning CO2 and water into hydrocarbons, which is basically the reverse of burning hydrocarbons to release energy, don't you? So it's actually you that bought up the subject of reversing the process as the best way of dealing with excess CO2.

TBH I am amazed you remember to breathe.

Comment

TBH I am amazed you remember to breathe.
                      TBH communicating with you one dreams for memory loss

Comment

Working...
                      X