• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Western Antarctic ice sheet collapse has already begun, scientists warn

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nearly missed this one.....

I'm alright Jack

Comment

Small world. 'Stoat' is the nom de blog of william Connolley, now a professional software engineer, but previously a climate modeller with the British Antarctic survey. His is one of the first comments on the leaked and translated memo
      My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Its Bengtssons all the way down ...

A spokesman for IOP Publishing said:

‘The paper, co-authored by Lennart Bengtsson, was originally submitted to Environmental Research Letters as a research Letter.

‘This was peer-reviewed by two independent reviewers, who reported that the paper contained errors and did not provide a significant advancement in the field, and therefore failed to meet the journal’s required acceptance criteria.

‘As a consequence, the independent reviewers recommended that the paper should not be published in the journal which led to the final editorial decision to reject the paper.’
        Personally I think he joined the advisory board of Nigel Lawson's GWPF in hope of an introduction to Nigella, when, after a couple of weeks irt didn't play out as he planned, he decided he'd made a huge error of judgement and needed a plausible reason for jumping ship. The pseudo-sceptics love to play the 'victim' card.

Well, it's as good a theory as any ...

Comment

[QUOTE=BlasterBates;1938608]nearly missed this one.....

Statement from IOP Publishing on story in The Times

Reviewer's comment:

I have rated the potential impact in the field as high, but I have to emphasise that this would be a strongly negative impact, as it does not clarify anything but puts up the (false) claim of some big inconsistency, where no consistency was to be expected in the first place.

And I can't see an honest attempt of constructive explanation in the manuscript

Thus I would strongly advise rejecting the manuscript in its current form..
          Nutn to see here.
          Last edited by pjclarke; 16 May 2014, 14:54.

Comment

[QUOTE=pjclarke;1938823]
            Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            nearly missed this one.....

Statement from IOP Publishing on story in The Times

Reviewer's comment:

Nutn to see here.
            Whatever the argument about the existence of climate change neither you nor your ilk can prove that it is either caused by human activity or that it can be changed by human activity.
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Whatever the argument about the existence of climate change neither you nor your ilk can prove that it is either caused by human activity or that it can be changed by human activity.
              Correct. Even the IPCC say that recent warming is very likely mainly anthropogenic, and they define 'very likely' as 95% confidence. In other words there's a one in twenty chance that it is entirely natural.

Proof happens in maths, in science, not so much. We have the balance of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
                Correct. Even the IPCC say that recent warming is very likely mainly anthropogenic, and they define 'very likely' as 95% confidence. In other words there's a one in twenty chance that it is entirely natural.

Proof happens in maths, in science, not so much. We have the balance of evidence.
                "very likely" is not proof. and what evidence do they have to support even their figure of 95%? They cannot even prove 5%
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  what evidence do they have to support even their figure of 95%?
                  Proof we don't got. Evidence we do ...

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar5/wg1/

This is getting a little semantic. I cannot prove that tobacco causes lung cancer, but I sure ain't gonna start smoking ...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                    "very likely" is not proof. and what evidence do they have to support even their figure of 95%? They cannot even prove 5%
                    You are never going to get 100% proof of anything outside of axiomatic mathematics. In the real world everything is about evidence and the balance of probabilities.

Personally I think 95% confidence intervals are a bit too loose, but they are the standard.
                    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

I mean we could spend a fortune building defences against a hypothetical alien attack. If we then successfully repel one in the long distant future our descendents will thank us for our foresight.
                      We lead the world as usual....

UK has anti-alien war weapons, former defense adviser claims | SciTech | GMA News Online

Comment

Working...
                      X