• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Portugal land grab

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
    Might be time to phone a barrister who's completed his/her training and has read article 17 of the EU's charter of Fundamental Rights.
    Harsh... but fair.

Also it seems it doesn't need to be a barrister it just needs to be someone with a clue....
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
      I was under the impression that much of the property that has been repossessed in Spain was either due to people not being able to pay their mortgages (they thought they could rent out as holiday homes but didn't work out) or unscrupulous developers sold the property or land event though there was no permit to actually build there which is actually a bit different...

The Telegraph don't seem to think so:

The situation in Portugal is being compared with Spain's notorious "land grab" law, under which hundreds of expatriate Britons lost homes on the Costa Blanca in the early 2000s.
      Under a loophole in the law, known as the Ley Reguladora de la Actividad Urbanística (LRAU) and originally intended to speed up development on the Costa Blanca, developers could compulsorily purchase prime rural land by saying it was for urban development.
      Developers made more than 20,000 compulsory purchases at fractions of the market value and many homes were demolished. In 2004 the European Parliament condemned the law and criticised apparent corruption among developers, officials and lawyers, but its call for a halt to the practice was ignored. In 2005 the European Commission stepped in and ordered Spain to resolve the situation.

Were I the EU I would be reining this in and explaining to the relevant countries how damaging this is to the perception of the EU as a good place to live or do business. Not advising people to get a lawyer.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        Were I the EU I would be reining this in and explaining to the relevant countries how damaging this is to the perception of the EU as a good place to live or do business. Not advising people to get a lawyer.
        Yes, indeed, and that's why I say they should get a lawyer, so they can move this on so the EU sorts it out. As you have said, property laws are pretty fundamental. However, maybe the qualified lawyer (as opposed to the trainee barrister) will tell them it can be solved within Portuguese law and the EU won't need to take action.
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

But to do that they would need more power, which you are dead set against giving them
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Could they sell up , and buy again? e.g house swap

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Your really are unfair.
              Only when posting on cuk. LIke everyone else here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                I´m trying hard to panic because I bought a house in another EU country, namely the Netherlands.

I´m not succeeding though.
                If the Dutch bring in similar legislation to "protect" waterways, you're fecked.

Nowehere in Holland is further than about two feet from water is it?
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The Telegraph don't seem to think so:

Obviously not many people read the Telegraph then: Foreign buyers delight in the glut of Spain's cheap Costa properties | World news | The Observer

Mind you stick in 'spanish property repossession' into Google and look at the amount of websites selling repossessed properties. These can't all be from ones from 'Ley Reguladora de la Actividad Urbanística.' Also in Spain, town planning laws are devolved to the autonomous regions, which explains why there is a problem in some regions, and not in others. A lot of this happened due to corrupt local politicians working with property developers and there have already been some court cases against these people. Just for clarification, the EU has no jurisdiction over national planning laws, so is powerless to intervene on this front (for new development that is.)
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Portugal 'land grab' laws: meet the families who could lose homes - Telegraph

British families could lose their homes due to draconian laws passing through parliament in Portugal

Who would be stupid enough to buy a house in Portugal?

Germany too, nearly: No wartime paperwork? Tear down your home - The Local
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Why don't these expats just take citizenship in their adopted countries ?

Then at least we wouldn't have to listen to their constant whining.

Comment

Working...
                      X