• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Portugal land grab

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow this membership of the EU gives many benefits
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      wow this membership of the EU gives many benefits
      It's far from perfect; I think we can all agree on that, but have shown that the EU law could be used by those homeowners to defend themselves;

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1936529
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Miss Luz, a trainee barrister, has helped her family search for the documents to prove the property is legally theirs but has not found them.
        Might be time to phone a barrister who's completed his/her training and has read article 17 of the EU's charter of Fundamental Rights.

Comment

in England we cannot even do a 'land grab' for the land which has illegally been taken over by pikey scum

so why should another country be able to do a land grab for houses that have been legitimately bought....

it's is a fookin joke

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            It's far from perfect; I think we can all agree on that, but have shown that the EU law could be used by those homeowners to defend themselves;

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1936529
            Spain did the same, we either have a EU where people who invest in property can enjoy that or we have free for all where member states do immoral things and expect their victims to have to protect themselves with expensive laws.

Sorry this sort of behaviour makes me doubt the validity of the EU.

Comment

Spain did the same, we either have a EU where people who invest in property can enjoy that or we have free for all where member states do immoral things and expect their victims to have to protect themselves with expensive laws.

But on the one hand Eurosceptics complain that countries are being forced to comply with EU law, and on the other hand you want property rights enforced across the whole EU and you don't think that's happening. Which is it to be?

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                But on the one hand Eurosceptics complain that countries are being forced to comply with EU law, and on the other hand you want property rights enforced across the whole EU and you don't think that's happening. Which is it to be?
                Property rights are fairly fundamental, if the EU can't manage that then its not much use.

Comment

Property rights are fairly fundamental, if the EU can't manage that then its not much use.
                  As I've shown, the EU has laws to protect property rights. It is, unfortunately, a long and expensive process to use those laws, but they could start by by contacting somebody who is qualified in Portuguese property laws, and thereby should at least understand Article 17 of the EU Charter of Fundamental Rights and how to use it in a court case. Let me google that for you. They might not even have to go so far as the European courts, if they can convince a court in Portugal of their rights.

What's being done to those people appears to be very unjust indeed and utterly wrong, but perhaps the EU law is actually their only protection against what the Portuguese government is doing. Or perhaps the European Convention on Human Rights (which is not an EU thingummy).

They could take the EU Charter route, or outside the EU, the European Convention on Human Rights, European Convention on Human Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia depending on what the fully qualified lawyer says gives them the best chance, instead of simply believing a ´trainee barrister´.

I don't know what the Portuguese constitution has to say about this, so I don't know if that's an option for them.
                  Last edited by Mich the Tester; 13 May 2014, 14:36.

Comment

I was under the impression that much of the property that has been repossessed in Spain was either due to people not being able to pay their mortgages (they thought they could rent out as holiday homes but didn't work out) or unscrupulous developers sold the property or land event though there was no permit to actually build there which is actually a bit different...
                    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                      What is the point of belonging to the EU if they can't stop this sort of thing?
                      Originally posted by Flashman View Post
                      Kerching for the euro-lawyers!
                      Which way do you actually expect it to work then?
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X